Here is a quick smoked fish recipe with ingredients from the super market. We use herring, but any type of smoked fish will do. Also you can use fresh vegetables.
- 500 gram(s) smoked herring (or any other smoked type)
- 250 gram(s) peanut butter (known elsewhere as groundnut butter)
- 500 gram(s) mixed vegetables (here broccoli, cauliflower, carrots)
- 1 - 2 large onions
- 400 gram(s) pizza tomatoes (or fresh tomatoes cut into cubes)
- boiling water
- black pepper to taste
- paprika powder
- salt to taste
- For: 6
- Preparation: 10 min
- Cooking: 35 min
- Ready in: 45 min
- Some ingredients including smoked herring, peanut butter, broccoli, cauliflower, onions, oil, spices
- Wash and chop the fresh vegetables.
- Fry the onions in hot oil until golden brown and then add the vegetables and the tomatoes, mix well.
- Slowly bring to the boil on moderate heat, while stirring now and then cut the fish into smaller pieces and add it.
- As it starts boiling reduce heat to low, otherwise there is the danger of scorching at the bottom and boiling over. Do not cover the pan. Add pepper, paprika powder and salt to taste
- Let this simmer for 20 – 30 minutes. Stir now and then. Oil floating at the top indicates it is ready, but you can also taste …
This sauce makes a good accompaniment for ugali, chapati, rice, potatoes, cassava and much more. You can of course vary the spices and use vegetables of your choice.
Check out more recipes on our Youtube channel and the recipe section of this website, with written versions, as well as other interesting stuff.