U.S., Canada and Africa news headlines aggregated from diverse sources by all Africa.com
AllAfrica News: United States, Canada and Africa All Africa, All the Time.
- Kenya: U.S. Army Says Al-Shabaab Report On Manda Bay Attack Exaggerated on 17/01/2020 at 12:52
[Citizen] Al Shabaab's report on the Sunday attack at Manda Bay Airfield in Lamu County was exaggerated, the US military has said. Manda Bay is an area where US forces provide training and counter-terrorism support to East African partners.
- Zimbabwe: Zim Shines At Miss Global World Preliminaries on 17/01/2020 at 10:54
[The Herald] Miss Global World Zimbabwean representative Tania Tatenda Aaron won the best evening gown accolade at the preliminaries held on Wednesday night ahead of the final of the Miss Global pageant set for Friday in Oaxaca, Mexico.
- South Africa: SA's New Refugee Regulations Could Have Been Drafted By Trump, Says Activist on 17/01/2020 at 08:33
[GroundUp] Ban on political activity is "illegal, unconstitutional and contrary to the UN convention on refugees"
- Zimbabwe: Local Model Shines in Mexico on 17/01/2020 at 08:29
[The Herald] Miss Global World, Zimbabwean representative Tania Aaron did the country proud after she won the evening gown category at the preliminaries held on Wednesday night ahead of the finals for the international pageant slated for tomorrow in Oaxaca, Mexico. The 24-year-old beauty queen, beat 59 other contestants with the first runner slot going to Miss Peru, Hany Portocarrero while Miss Northern Mariana Islands Kristin Chucci was second runner up.
- Zimbabwe: AU Steps Up Sanctions Fight on 17/01/2020 at 08:29
[The Herald] The Africa Union (AU) is determined to engage the West over illegal sanctions imposed on Zimbabwe, in an effort to guarantee stability in the region.
- East Africa: Al-Shabaab's Attacks Come Amid Backdrop of West's Waning Interest on 17/01/2020 at 07:04
[The Conversation Africa] Two significant attacks have been carried out by al-Shabaab in recent weeks. On 6 January 2020, the Somali-based terrorist group attacked a Kenyan military base close to the former coastal holiday destination of Lamu. The killing of a US service man and two US contractors in this attack inflicted the first ever American military combat losses inside Kenya.
- East Africa: Ethiopia, Egypt, Sudan Make Slow Progress in Nile Dam Row on 17/01/2020 at 04:28
[Deutsche Welle] The three countries have agreed the filling of the Nile dam should start in the wet season and proceed in stages. But they have delayed making a final agreement until later in January.
- Africa: 10 U.S. House Members Raise Concern About Potential Reduction of Forces in Africa on 16/01/2020 at 21:49
[U.S. House] Washington, DC -House Armed Services Committee Vice Chair Anthony G. Brown (MD-04) and a bipartisan group of 10 lawmakers, sent a letter to Defense Secretary Mark Esper expressing their concerns with a potential reduction of American forces in the African theater despite the heightened threat of terrorism and rising geopolitical competition on the continent. The Department of Defense recently announced a review of the United States' force posture as they reorient strategy toward countering Russia and China.
- Africa: Senate Armed Services Chair Says Africa is 'Critical' to U.S. Interests - Inhofe Letter on 16/01/2020 at 21:46
[United States Senate] Washington, DC -U.S. Sen. Jim Inhofe (R-Okla.), chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, submitted the following statement for the record today:
- East Africa: Amisom and U.S. Warn of Al-Shabaab's Resilience, Weaponry on 16/01/2020 at 14:00
[Nation] Amisom and US Africa Command (Africom), who are security partners in Somalia, have warned that Al-Shabaab have built sufficient resilience and weaponry to keep launching deadly attacks in the country.
- Kenya: Burial of Kenyan Woman Shot Dead By American Granny Set for Saturday on 16/01/2020 at 12:17
[Nairobi News] The Kenyan woman who was shot dead by an 85-year-old granny in the USA will be buried on Saturday, 18 January, in Siaya county.
- Kenya: Gor Mahia Youngster Joins New Club U.S. on 16/01/2020 at 10:58
[Nairobi News] Highly-rated Gor Mahia midfielder Tobias Otieno has joined US third tier side Union Omaha.
- Africa: Honorable Joseph Mucheru, Kenyan Cabinet Secretary in Ministry of Information and Communications, to attend Largest Africa-Focused Investment Symposium in Silicon Valley on 16/01/2020 at 09:32
[Cision] Silicon Valley, Calif -For the fifth consecutive year, the African Diaspora Network (ADN) hosts the largest Africa-focused investment symposium in Mountain View, CA January 23rd-25th, 2020.
- Sudan: Ministers of Foreign Affairs and Irrigation Meet President Trump on 16/01/2020 at 09:14
[SNA] Khartoum -In the context of their participation in the talks on the Ethiopian Renaissance Dam, which are sponsored by the US Secretary of the Treasury, the Foreign Minister, Asma Mohamed Abdalla, and the Minister of Irrigation and Water Resources, Yasser Abbas, met with US President, Donald Trump, at his office in the White House, in the presence of the Ministers of Foreign Affairs and Irrigation of the Republic of Egypt and the Republic of Ethiopia and the President of the World Bank.
- Zimbabwe: Sanctions to Remain Until Reforms Are Implemented - U.S. on 16/01/2020 at 08:47
[New Zimbabwe] The restrictive measures imposed on Zimbabwe by the United States will remain in place until President Emmerson Mnangagwa's administration implemented the necessary political and economic reforms key to restoring the troubled country's democracy and prosperity, the US Ambassador to Zimbabwe said Wednesday.
- Somalia: Us Lauds Kenya Partnership in Fight Against Al Shabaab on 16/01/2020 at 08:46
[Shabelle] The United States through its Embassy in Kenya has reiterated its continued fight against terrorism and lauded its partnership with the country in the war on terror.
- Kenya: U.S. Commits to Help Kenya Fight Terrorism on 1st Commemoration of Dusit Attack on 16/01/2020 at 05:48
[Capital FM] Nairobi -The United States has reiterated its commitment to help Kenya defeat terrorism on the first commemoration of the 2019 attack at Dusitd2, an uptown complex, where 21 people were killed, including an American and a Briton.
- Africa: Despite Trump's Urging, Egypt, Ethiopia Still Deadlocked on Nile Dam on 16/01/2020 at 05:24
[VOA] Washington -The latest talks hosted by the U.S. Treasury produced some progress but failed to achieve a comprehensive agreement on the filling and operation of the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam (GERD).
- Africa: Joint Statement on Negotiations Over the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam (GERD) on 16/01/2020 at 02:26
[U.S. Treasury] Washington, DC -The Ministers of Foreign Affairs and Water Resources of Egypt, Ethiopia and Sudan and their delegations met with the Secretary of the Treasury and the President of the World Bank, participating as observers, in Washington, D.C. on January 13-15, 2020.
- South Africa: Trevor Noah Hits Out At Hollywood's Lack of Diversity in Oscar Nominations on 15/01/2020 at 10:01
[News24Wire] Cape Town -Trevor Noah has added his voice to the lack of diversity amongst this year's Oscar nominations.
- Ethiopia: Ethiopia PM Sidesteps Trump's Head Scratching Nobel Prize Comments on 15/01/2020 at 08:11
[VOA] Ethiopians and U.S. foreign policy observers are trying to unravel a comment made by President Donald Trump last week where he claimed to have "saved a country" and implied he should have been given the Nobel Peace Prize for the achievement.
- North Africa: Film Set In Tunisia Gets Oscar Nomination on 15/01/2020 at 04:43
[CINETELEFILMS] Meryam Joobeur's live action short film Brotherhood produced by Academy-Award nominee Maria Gracia Turgeon of Midi La Nuit & Cinétéléfilms is now nominated for the Academy Awards for Best Live Action Short Film. It tells a poignant story of a rural Tunisian father caught in between loyalty to his family and his rigid moral principles.
- West Africa: France and G5 Sahel Recommit Themselves as U.S. Mulls Drawdown on 14/01/2020 at 16:58
[Council on Foreign Relations] Washington, DC -President Emmanuel Macron of France hosted a summit in Pau, southwestern France, with the heads of state of Burkina Faso, Chad, Mali, Mauretania, and Niger. The purpose of the summit was to improve military coordination against insurgents with a particular focus on the Islamic State in West Africa (ISWA) and al-Qaeda affiliate Jama'at Nasr al-Islam wal Muslimin (JNIM).
- Angola: Angola, Us Analyse Cultural Cooperation on 14/01/2020 at 09:43
[ANGOP] Luanda -Angolan minister of Culture Maria da Piedade de Jesus and the United States ambassador , Nina Fite, Monday discussed the cultural cooperation during an audience granted by the former.
- Sudan: Al-Burhan Receives Minister of Parliamentary Affairs At the Canadian Foreign Ministry on 14/01/2020 at 08:47
[SNA] Khartoum -President of the Transitional Sovereign Council, Lt. Gen. Abdul-Fattah Al-Burhan, received at the Republican Palace Monday the visiting Minister of Parliamentary Affairs at the Canadian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Robert Olivant.
- East Africa: U.S.-Iran Hostility Recipe for Instability in Horn of Africa on 14/01/2020 at 07:25
[East African] A waning urge for direct interstate conflicts may have weakened the likelihood for a full-blown war, experts said of the tensions between the US and Iran.
- Nigeria: 2023 - Aspirants Lobby U.S. to Support Igbo Presidential Bid on 14/01/2020 at 05:22
[Vanguard] An array of potential presidential aspirants stormed the United States to lobby support for election of a Nigerian president of Igbo extraction in 2023, a move similar to the global campaign undertaken by members of All Progressives Congress, APC, prior to 2015 presidential election.
- East Africa: U.S. Assistant Secretary of African Affairs Travels to Central and East Africa on 14/01/2020 at 05:18
[State Department] Assistant Secretary for African Affairs Tibor Nagy will travel to the Central African Republic, Ethiopia, Kenya, South Sudan, and Sudan from January 15-29, 2020. He will meet with senior government officials, international partners, civil society representatives, faculty and students of local universities, and alumni of Department of State public diplomacy exchange programs. His visit will emphasize the importance of promoting good governance and strong democratic institutions, advancing region
- Sudan: Agreement Reached to Upgrade Diplomatic Representation Between Sudan and Canada to Ambassadors Level on 13/01/2020 at 10:04
[SNA] Khartoum -The Prime Minister, Dr. Abdalla Hamdouk, received in his office Sunday the Canadian Minister of Parliamentary Affairs, Rob Oliphant, who conveyed to him the greetings of the Canadian Prime Minister and his praise of the peaceful Sudanese revolution.
- Sudan: Hamdouk Receives Parliamentary Secretary of Canadian Foreign Ministry on 13/01/2020 at 10:00
[SNA] Khartoum -The Prime Minister, Dr. Abdallah Hamdouk, Sunday received the Parliamentary Secretary for Canadian Foreign Ministry, Rob Olivant.