Southern African News aggregated from diverse sources, including Malawi, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Swaziland, Lesotho, Namibia, South Africa & other regional newspapers.
AllAfrica News: Southern Africa All Africa, All the Time.
- South Africa: Uganda Airlines All Set to Fly to Johannesburg Soon on 19/01/2020 at 22:54
[Independent (Kampala)] Kampala -Uganda's national carrier, Uganda Airlines, has made it official that it will unveil direct flights to Johannesburg, South Africa, soon.
- Zimbabwe: 14 Killed in Bus, Truck Collision on 19/01/2020 at 21:38
[New Zimbabwe] Fourteen people died on the spot when a General Bande bus collided, head-on, with a haulage truck near Shamu village along the Harare-Mutare highway yesterday after- noon.
- Zimbabwe: Doctors Leave Zim in Droves As Govt Remains Hostile to Wage Demands on 19/01/2020 at 21:37
[New Zimbabwe] Frustrated Zimbabwean medical doctors are leaving the country in droves as government fails to break its impasse with the health professionals following a four-month strike action late last year over poor wages.
- Zimbabwe: Man Jailed 10 Years for Stealing Electric Cables in Binga on 19/01/2020 at 21:34
[New Zimbabwe] A copper wire thief has been handed the mandatory 10-year jail term while police have also launched a manhunt for his three accomplices.
- Zimbabwe: Mnangagwa Is Archbishop of Machete-Wielding Gangs - Opposition on 19/01/2020 at 21:32
[New Zimbabwe] The MDC has fired at President Emmerson Mnangagwa, describing the Zanu PF leader as the archbishop of the notorious machete wielding gangs commonly referred to as Mashurugwi.
- Zimbabwe: Parirenyatwa's Staff Woes Persist Despite Junior Doctors' Return on 19/01/2020 at 21:30
[New Zimbabwe] Parirenyatwa Hospital, the largest referral medical centre in Zimbabwe, is still operating below its normal capacity despite the return of striking junior doctors to their workstations.
- Zimbabwe: Opposition Politician Gutu Denies Plans to Join Ruling Party on 19/01/2020 at 21:29
[New Zimbabwe] Obert Gutu, who resigned Saturday as Vice President of the MDC-T led by Thokozani Khupe, has dismissed as false, claims that he has ditched the MDC breakaway group to join Zanu PF.
- Zimbabwe: Live Streaming Court Trials Will Bring Transparency - Lawyers on 19/01/2020 at 21:27
[New Zimbabwe] The Law Society of Zimbabwe (LSZ) has welcomed the Judiciary's pledges to live-stream court proceedings in cases of public interest, saying this brings transparency and also allows ordinary citizens to understand how the law works.
- Zimbabwe: Hookers Bash Soldier for Non-Payment of Service on 19/01/2020 at 21:25
[New Zimbabwe] A member of the Zimbabwe National Army (ZNA) who was in the habit of engaging commercial sex workers and fleeing without paying for services was left nursing injuries after two women teamed up and gave him a thorough beating recently.
- Zimbabwe: Anthrax Outbreak - 64 in Hospital, 47 Cattle Dead on 19/01/2020 at 21:20
[New Zimbabwe] Masvingo -At least 64 people have been hospitalised in Bikita and Gutu after eating anthrax contaminated meat with 47 cattle dying from the outbreak while government has also moved in to vaccinate 22 000 herd of cattle.
- Zimbabwe: Police Allow Chamisa to Launch MDC's Agenda 2020 on 19/01/2020 at 21:04
[New Zimbabwe] Police Sunday afternoon allowed MDC President Nelson Chamisa to launch his much anticipated State of the Nation Agenda (SONA) 2020 mini-rally at Stodart Hall in Mbare, Harare Tuesday.
- Zimbabwe: 16 Killed in Bus, Haulage Truck Collision on 19/01/2020 at 20:46
[The Herald] The number of people who died near Shamu village yesterday in a road accident involving a General Bande bus and a haulage truck has risen to 16 after two more people died in hospital.
- Mozambique: Nyusi Names New Government on 19/01/2020 at 20:03
[Mozambique News Reports And Clippings] Nyusi names new government Most of President Nyusi's new government was named late today, with few new faces. Three key people retain their posts - Carlos Rosario as Prime Minister, Adriano Maleiane as Economy and Finance Minister, and Celso Correia (one of Nyusi's most trusted advisors) as Agriculture and Development Minister (dropping environment and taking on agriculture in a restructuring of two ministries).
- South Africa: Two Hijackers Arrested in Mfuleni on 19/01/2020 at 16:33
[SAPS] To ensure that perpetrators of crime are brought to book, members of Khayelitsha SAPS arrested two suspects and confiscated a 9mm pistol and a pump action shotgun shortly after a man was hijacked in his Toyota Avanza in Khayelitsha.
- South Africa: Police Chief Welcomes Four Life Sentences Meted Against a Man Linked to Four Murders on 19/01/2020 at 16:31
[SAPS] The Provincial Commissioner of Police in Mpumalanga, Lieutenant General Mondli Zuma, has welcomed four life sentences meted against 41-year-old Bheki Themba Simelane for murders which he committed in seperate incidents at various places. The sentence was handed down on Friday 17 January 2020, by Judge Henk Roelofse at the High Court sitting in Graskop.
- South Africa: Suspect Part of Alleged Scamming Syndicate Arrested on 19/01/2020 at 16:26
[SAPS] A man in his late 20's suspected of scamming unsuspecting women in Kuruman CBD, has been locked up yesterday following several robbery cases. Numerous cases of robbery were registered after men robbed more than three young women of their belongings. The suspect together with his accomplices would throw a money on the ground and unsuspecting victims would then pick up the money. After the victim picked up the money, the suspects would take the victims to a secluded area and rob them. The suspect and his acc
- South Africa: Vehicle Thief Gets 8 Years Imprisonment on 19/01/2020 at 16:25
[SAPS] A 25-year-old man, Ogone Reginald Smith of Danielskuil was sentenced to 8 years imprisonment by the Danielskuil Regional court yesterday in connection with car theft.
- South Africa: Police Launch Search Operation for Missing Elderly Woman on 19/01/2020 at 16:24
[SAPS] NELSPRUIT -The South African Police Service in Mpumalanga are looking for anyone who can assist in locating an 81-year-old woman who resides in Carolina.
- Zimbabwe: Solar-Powered Water Pumps for Kariba Villagers on 19/01/2020 at 16:23
[The Herald] Villagers in Nyaminyami area of Kariba district will be getting water for four irrigation schemes from solar-powered pumps.
- Zimbabwe: Gutu's Exit 'Good Riddance' - MDC-T Youths on 19/01/2020 at 16:13
[New Zimbabwe] YOUTHS in the Thokozani Khupe led MDC-T have described as "good riddance", the announcement made Saturday by Obert Gutu that he was resigning as the Vice President of the party with immediate effect.
- Zimbabwe: Property Destroyed, Chickens Swept Away As Floods Hit Hwange on 19/01/2020 at 16:12
[New Zimbabwe] Hwange -Residents here were left counting their loses after their property was destroyed by a rain storm which also swept away their chickens and other domestic animals.
- Namibia: Teen Appears On Multiple Charges on 19/01/2020 at 16:09
[New Era] Windhoek -A 15-year-old teenager from Rehoboth, who was 14 when he committed several offences including murder, rape and arson, made his first appearance in the Windhoek High Court yesterday before Judge Christie Liebenberg.
- Namibia: Teachers 'Struggling' With New Curriculum on 19/01/2020 at 15:37
[New Era] Windhoek -The Teachers' Union of Namibia (TUN) says most teachers are not qualified nor prepared to teach the new revised national curriculum that the government started implementing five years ago. This is according to the union's secretary-general Mahongora Kavihuha.
- Namibia: Namibian Queer Queen Breaks the Silence Against Queerphobia on 19/01/2020 at 15:36
[New Era] Unlike some African countries such as Kenya that celebrates the rights of LGBTQI+ community (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersex), Namibian award winning make-up artist, fashion stylist and an androgynous model Jay Aeron says Namibians are still stuck in old stereotypes of queer, a perception which should come to an end.
- Namibia: Hanse-Himarwa Ropes in Barry Roux on 19/01/2020 at 15:34
[New Era] Windhoek -Convicted former education minister Katrina Hanse-Himarwa has acquired the services of top South African defence advocate Barry Roux to lead her appeal process. Hanse-Himarwa has approached the Windhoek High Court to grant her leave to appeal in the Supreme Court her conviction on a corruption charge.
- Malawi/Zimbabwe: Malawi Women U-20 in Late Equaliser Against Zimbabwe on 19/01/2020 at 11:21
[Nyasa Times] Malawi Under-20 Women's National Football team came from behind with a Yamikani Mhango's late equaliser against Zimbabwe on Saturday at Kamuzu Stadium in Blantyre.
- Malawi: Child Rights Network Condemns Achalume Cartoon on 19/01/2020 at 11:17
[Nyasa Times] A consortium of organizations fighting for children's rights in Malawi has condemned a cartoon in the Malawi News, which depicts an old man suggesting that he slept with a 16 year-old girl, saying 'it normalizes child rights violation'.
- South Africa: Kidnapper Flees With Baby Boy From Taxi in Cape Town on 18/01/2020 at 23:23
[News24Wire] Western Cape police are looking for a woman who gained a mother's trust before kidnapping one of her twin boys in Cape Town this week.
- Mozambique: Nyusi Announces New Govt on 18/01/2020 at 22:38
[AIM] Maputo -Mozambican President Filipe Nyusi announced his new government on Friday evening, and reappointed Carlos Agostinho do Rosario as Prime Minister.
- Namibia: Judgement in Election Challenge Set for February on 18/01/2020 at 21:45
[Namibian] The ruling in the legal battle over the use of electronic voting machines (EVMs) without verifiable paper trails and the results of the November 2019 presidential election, will be made public in the Supreme Court early next month.
[wp_rss_multi_importer category=”11″ maximgwidth=”100″]