Southern African News aggregated from diverse sources, including Malawi, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Swaziland, Lesotho, Namibia, South Africa & other regional newspapers.
AllAfrica News: Southern Africa All Africa, All the Time.
- South Africa: Cricket South Africa Fudges and Muddles Along Amid a Crisis on 09/12/2019 at 07:24
[Daily Maverick] Saving cricket in South Africa would mean the CSA board members falling on their swords. But this is South Africa, where accountability is not a strength.
- Zimbabwe: Harare Magistrates' Court Oranged for Solidarity With Anti-Gender Violence on 09/12/2019 at 07:24
[New Zimbabwe] Harare's Rotten Row Magistrate's Court was weekend lit in orange colour to demonstrate solidarity with an initiative to eliminate all forms of violence.
- Southern Africa: Droughts Set Region On Ticking Time Bomb on 09/12/2019 at 07:23
[CAJ News] Luanda -The severe food insecurity in Southern Africa has triggered numerous crises including child labour, child trafficking, early marriage and transactional sex that could lead to an HIV catastrophe.
- Zimbabwe: Firm Struggles to Export U.S.$750 000 Cotton Due to Permit Issuance Delays on 09/12/2019 at 07:22
[New Zimbabwe] Zimbabwe's second largest local cotton firm, Southern Cotton Company (SCC) says it is holding on to cotton lint worth US$750 000 which is long overdue for exportation owing to the time-consuming process of getting export licences from government.
- Southern Africa: South Africa-Financed Bridges Commissioned in Zimbabwe on 09/12/2019 at 07:22
[CAJ News] Chimanimani -South Africa has spent R59 million to construct bridges in Zimbabwean communities left stranded by the deadly Cyclone Idai early this year.
- South Africa: State Management of Shelters 'Is in Shambles' on 09/12/2019 at 07:11
[Daily Maverick] 'Systemic fault lines' appeared to be the theme for the Commission for Gender Equality's public investigative hearings last week, as it became clear that state departments need to radically increase their efforts to support shelters for women and children in SA.
- Uganda: Hon. Robert Kyagulanyi Ssentamu (Bobi Wine) Accepts Freedom Award Nomination on 09/12/2019 at 07:09
[The Friedrich Naumann Foundation] The Friedrich Naumann Foundation for Freedom Meets the People Power Movement in Uganda
- South Africa: Baviaanskloof - Where the Lionheart Dwells on 09/12/2019 at 07:05
[Daily Maverick] Deafening is the cry of the dry heat - bellowing off the Baviaanskloof's endless array of rocks, rocks which are strewn lavishly among the plucky spekboom and thicket. The heat seeks to destroy the will to live while lapping up moisture from any source it can find. It is as if nature is seeking to reclaim this parcel of land for herself. Only the foolhardy can even think of venturing out of the comfort of the air-cooled double cab, let alone try to carve out a living here.
- South Africa: Traditional and Khoi-SAN Leadership Act 'Brings Back Apartheid Bantustans', Say Activists on 09/12/2019 at 07:02
[Daily Maverick] In a recent article in Maverick Citizen, we explained that the Traditional and Khoi-san Leadership Act was likely to rob millions of rural people, women in particular, of their rights. Maverick Citizen sought the views of rural land activists from Eastern Cape, KwaZulu-Natal, North West and Limpopo who have been particularly vociferous in the fight against this bill taking hold and championing the rights of rural communities.
- South Africa: ANC NEC Must Send a Clear Message By Getting Tough On Bongani Bongo on 09/12/2019 at 06:56
[Daily Maverick] The case of Bongani Bongo should be before the NEC. This is not a simple case of corruption; it involves a serious allegation that Bongo attempted to undermine a parliamentary inquiry into Eskom by offering a bribe to an evidence leader.
- South Africa: Government's Adoption of Traditional Leadership Laws Is a Betrayal of Rural South Africans on 09/12/2019 at 06:54
[Daily Maverick] The recent enactment of two pieces of traditional leadership legislation legitimises the suppression of free economic activity in communal areas, deprives people of access to resources and opens the way to violence against them.
- South Africa: Actress Among Over 40 Suspects Arrested for Allegedly Drunk Driving on 09/12/2019 at 06:22
[News24Wire] A 39-year-old South African actress is one of over 40 suspects arrested for allegedly driving while under the influence of alcohol this past weekend during operations conducted across Gauteng Province.
- Tanzania: Millionaire Ali Mufuruki Succumbed to Pneumonia - Family Friend on 09/12/2019 at 06:13
[Citizen] Dar es Salaam -Tanzania's dollar millionaire, who passed on on Saturday night, succumbed to pneumonia, a family friend said on Sunday, December 08, 2019.
- South Africa: Miss South Africa Zozibini Tunzi Crowned Miss Universe on 09/12/2019 at 05:59
[News24Wire] Johannesburg -Ladies and gentlemen, your new Miss Universe is Miss South Africa, Zozibini Tunzi!
- South Africa: Deja Vu? Steve Harvey Announces Wrong Miss Universe 2019 National Costume Winner on 09/12/2019 at 05:59
[News24Wire] Johannesburg -Did history just repeat itself?
- South Africa: Demi-Leigh's Message to Zozibini Tunzi: 'We Did It Again!' on 09/12/2019 at 05:58
[News24Wire] Johannesburg -Former Miss South Africa and Miss Universe, Demi-Leigh Nel-Peters took some time to congratulate Zozibini Tunzi on her win on Sunday, saying that she is "proud" of the 26-year-old's achievement.
- South Africa: Ruling Party Says Not Aware of Former President Zuma Being Ill on 09/12/2019 at 05:55
[News24Wire] It seems the ANC is just as surprised as most people by news reports that former president Jacob Zuma had taken ill and is undergoing treatment in Cuba.
- South Africa: Trapped Gold Miners Found Dead on 09/12/2019 at 04:52
[Deutsche Welle] "Bring us some oxygen," were the final words heard when contact was lost. The bodies of four miners in the Tau Lekoa Mine in northeastern South Africa were recovered after they were trapped by fallen boulders.
- South Africa: South Africa's Zozibini Tunzi is Miss Universe 2019! on 09/12/2019 at 04:29
[allAfrica] Cape Town -South Africa's Zozibini Tunzi has been crowned Miss Universe 2019.
- South Africa: Trapped Gold Miners Found Dead in South Africa on 08/12/2019 at 12:29
[News24Wire] The final casualty in the Tau Lekoa mine disaster near Orkney, North West, has been located and was being retrieved, Village Main Reef Limited confirmed on Sunday.
- South Africa: Botswana National in Dock After Allegedly Trying to Sell Live Cheetah, Lion Bones on 08/12/2019 at 12:27
[News24Wire] A Botswana national is expected in the dock of the Kuruman Magistrate's Court in the Northern Cape on Monday after he allegedly attempted to sell a live cheetah, as well as lion bones.
- Angola: Luanda Hospitals Need 290 Units of Blood Daily on 08/12/2019 at 12:23
[ANGOP] Luanda -Luanda province has a need for 290 blood units of 450 ml of blood daily, said Friday in Luanda, the director-general of the National Blood Institute, Deodete Machado, on Friday.
- Zimbabwe: Zim Doctors Blast Govt Hospital Privatisation Bid on 08/12/2019 at 12:23
[New Zimbabwe] ZIMBABWEAN doctors say they were against the implementation of the Public Private Partnerships on the country's public health sector, describing the model as privatising public health institutions to the disadvantage of the poor majority.
- Zimbabwe: Prophet Bushiri 'Anoints' Samaita on 08/12/2019 at 11:06
[Zimbabwe Standard] Businessman-cum-musician Brian Samaita says he is contemplating taking a step in faith and quit music in order to serve the Lord.
- Zimbabwe: Zanu-PF in Mat South Targets Civil Servants on 08/12/2019 at 11:06
[Zimbabwe Standard] ZANU PF Matabeleland South province has resolved to push the government to adopt a policy of vetting civil servants to establish their political affiliation to allegedly guard against sabotage.
- Zimbabwe: Parliament Doubts Minister of Finance's Growth Figures on 08/12/2019 at 11:05
[Zimbabwe Standard] PARLIAMENT has described Finance minister Mthuli Ncube's projected economic growth for 3% next year as unrealistic given the acute electricity shortages and drought facing the country.
- Zimbabwe: Mnangagwa Threatens to 'Deal' With Doctors on 08/12/2019 at 10:44
[Zimbabwe Standard] President Emmerson Mnangagwa yesterday threatened to "deal" with striking doctors, claiming they were being paid by unknown organisations to continue with their job boycott.
- Zimbabwe: Activists Pile Pressure Over Gukurahundi on 08/12/2019 at 10:44
[Zimbabwe Standard] A BULAWAYO-based pressure group Ibhetshu LikaZulu has called on the government to go a step further in addressing the Gukurahundi issue and account for victims that were abducted and never seen again.
- Zimbabwe: Drying Victoria Falls Sparks Concern on 08/12/2019 at 10:44
[Zimbabwe Standard] VICTORIA FALLS -- For decades Victoria Falls, where southern Africa's Zambezi river cascade down 100 metres into a gash in the earth, have drawn millions of holidaymakers to Zimbabwe and Zambia for their stunning views.
- South Africa: Global and Historical Lessons On How Land Reforms Have Unfolded on 08/12/2019 at 09:51
[The Conversation Africa] What can South Africa learn about land reforms from wider global and historical experiences in the 20th century? Most land reforms have involved transferring rights of ownership from wealthy landlords to poor, small-scale farmers working the land under various kinds of tenancy arrangements. These are often described as "land to the tiller" reforms.
[wp_rss_multi_importer category=”11″ maximgwidth=”100″]