Central African News Headlines aggregated from diverse sources, including Congolese, Rwandan, Burundi, Angolan, Namibian, Cameroonian, Chadian, Central African and Gabonese newspapers.
AllAfrica News: Central Africa All Africa, All the Time.
- Rwanda: Rwanda Among Top 10 Countries That Responded Best to Covid-19 Outbreakby New Times on 28/01/2021 at 12:55
[New Times] Rwanda is ranked sixth globally among the countries that handled Covid-19 outbreak best, according to a new analysis that found smaller populations and capable institutions are the major factors in managing the global pandemic.
- Rwanda/Guinea: CHAN 2020 - Rwanda to Face Guinea in Last Eightby New Times on 28/01/2021 at 12:53
[New Times] The national football team, Amavubi, will take on Guinea in the quarter-finals of the ongoing 6th African Nations Championship (CHAN) in Cameroon.
- Rwanda: Why Rwanda Adopted Law on Mutual Legal Assistanceby New Times on 28/01/2021 at 12:50
[New Times] Last week parliament adopted a law governing mutual legal assistance in criminal matters which allows cooperation between countries for the purpose of collecting and exchanging information in an effort to enforce criminal laws.
- Rwanda: Kiyovu Defender Irambona Ruled Out for Six Monthsby New Times on 28/01/2021 at 12:47
[New Times] Sports club Kiyovu left-back Eric Irambona is expected to be out of action for at least six months after undergoing a successful ankle surgery.
- Rwanda: Amavubi's Journey to the CHAN 2020 Quarterfinalsby New Times on 28/01/2021 at 12:36
[New Times] The day the national team, Amavubi, flew to Cameroon to take part in the ongoing 2020 African Nations Championships (CHAN), very few Rwandans were confident that a qualification from their Group C opponents was possible.
- Rwanda: Rwanda Joins the World to Honour Holocaust Victimsby New Times on 28/01/2021 at 11:10
[New Times] Rwanda on Wednesday, January 27, joined the rest of the world to mark the 76th international day of commemorating victims of the Holocaust.
- Rwanda: Rwanda Receives Over Rwf3 Billion to Support Smallholder Farmersby New Times on 28/01/2021 at 11:09
[New Times] The Government of New Zealand has committed NZD 6.8 million (over Rwf4.8 billion) to support smallholder farmers across Africa, with NZD 4.2 million (about Rwf3 billion) committed to Rwanda from 2020-2023.
- Rwanda: Covid-19 - Police Condemn 'Reckless' Celebrations After Amavubi CHAN Victoryby New Times on 28/01/2021 at 11:08
[New Times] Rwanda National Police have come out to condemn actions by some citizens who defied the Covid-19 lockdown on Tuesday, January 26, as they celebrated the victory of the national football team Amavubi against Togo in the ongoing African Nations Championship (CHAN).
- Kenya/Rwanda: Tuyisenge Named Man of the Match as Rwanda Progress to CHAN Quartersby Capital FM on 28/01/2021 at 11:08
[Capital FM] Limbe -- Former Gor Mahia striker Jacques Tuyisenge was named man of the match after scoring one of the goals as Rwanda came twice from a goal down to beat Togo 3-2 and qualify for the quarter finals of the African Nations Championship (CHAN) in Cameroon on Tuesday.
- Rwanda: CHAN 2020 - Sugira Delighted With Winning Goal, Keen to Improve On Fitnessby New Times on 28/01/2021 at 11:03
[New Times] Ernest Sugira is still reveling after scoring the winning goal in Rwanda's 3-2 victory over Togo on Tuesday, January 26 as the Amavubi qualified for the quarterfinals of the 2020 African Nations Championship in Cameroon.
- Rwanda: Basketball - Rwanda Ups Preps Ahead of Afrobasket Qualifiersby New Times on 28/01/2021 at 10:51
[New Times] The national basketball team head coach Henry Mwinuka is taking the team through intensive drills as he seeks to change the team's fortunes after a poor run in the first window of the Afrobasket qualifiers last year.
- Uganda: Uganda, DR Congo Agree to Exchange Captivesby Monitor on 28/01/2021 at 09:53
[Monitor] The Buliisa District security team is set to hand over at least two Congolese military personnel, and two rifles in exchange for over 30 Ugandan fishermen arrested on Lake Albert on DR Congo side.
- Congo-Kinshasa: Repression Escalatesby HRW on 28/01/2021 at 09:23
[HRW] Kinshasa -- Crackdown on Media, Dissent, Protests
- Angola: Football - Maquis Postpone Match Against Sagrada Esperançaby ANGOP on 28/01/2021 at 08:42
[ANGOP] Luena -- The team of FC Bravos do Maquis do Moxico postponed the match against Sagrada Esperança, scheduled for this Saturday (30), for the seventh round of the First Division National Football Championship (Girabola2020/21), due to Covid-19 positive cases reported in the club.
- Angola: Interclube Women's Basketball Team Win Luanda Tournamentby ANGOP on 28/01/2021 at 07:00
[ANGOP] Luanda -- Interclube senior women's basketball team won Monday the first edition of the Luanda Tournament, after defeating in the final 1º de Agosto by 76-61.
- Angola: Sagrada Esperança Free of CAF Sanctionsby ANGOP on 28/01/2021 at 07:00
[ANGOP] Luanda -- Angola's Sagrada Esperança football team will not suffer any sanction by the Confederation of African Football (CAF), following their withdrawal from the Confederation Cup.
- Angola: Sílvio De Sousa Selected for National Basketball Teamby ANGOP on 28/01/2021 at 07:00
[ANGOP] Luanda -- Sílvio de Sousa was called up for the national basketball team, while Olimpio Cipriano is the remarkable absence for the third and last qualifying for the African Championship "Afrobasket 2021", to be held from 19 to 21 February in Yaoundé, Cameroon.
- Angola: Covid-19 - Angola Recovers 214 Patients, Registers 27 New Casesby ANGOP on 28/01/2021 at 07:00
[ANGOP] Luanda -- Angolan health authorities announced Wednesday the recovery of 214 patients and the report of 27 new cases in the last 24 hours.
- Central African Republic: Rights Expert Welcomes Transfer of War Crimes Suspect to ICCby UN News on 28/01/2021 at 05:17
[UN News] The handover of a former Central African Republic (CAR) militia leader and war crimes suspect to the International Criminal Court (ICC) has sent a strong warning to rebel groups, political actors and others who thrive on impunity, a UN independent human rights expert said on Wednesday.
- Congo-Kinshasa: Power-Sharing Agreement Breaks Down in DRCby CFR on 28/01/2021 at 04:56
[CFR] When Félix Tshisekedi assumed power in in the Democratic Republic of the Congo at the start of 2019, he did so not because of the will of the voters (who apparently favored a different candidate), but because he had entered into an agreement with his predecessor, Joseph Kabila, and Kabila's political party, the Common Front for Congo (FCC). Tshisekedi and his party got the presidency, but the FCC dominated the parliament and provincial governorships, controlling most levers of power throughout gover
- Congo-Kinshasa: Parliament Ousts Prime Minister Amid Growing Political Turmoilby DW on 28/01/2021 at 04:55
[DW] President Felix Tshisekedi is seeking to oust supporters of former President Joseph Kabila in an attempt to consolidate power. Prime Minister Illunkamba denounced the vote; an ally said that he would not resign.
- Angola: Remains of General Chilingutila Laid to Restby ANGOP on 27/01/2021 at 15:33
[ANGOP] Huambo -- The remains of the former deputy defence minister for material resources, general in the reform Demósthenes Amós Chilingutila, were buried today, Tuesday, in the cemetery of São Pedro, on the outskirts of the city of Huambo.
- Angola: Inad Demines Over 55 Million Square Metres in Huamboby ANGOP on 27/01/2021 at 15:32
[ANGOP] Chicala -- At least fifty-five million square metres of mined area in Huambo province were clarified between 1996 and 2020 by the National Demining Institute (INAD).
- Rwanda: Rwanda to Vaccinate Pigs Amid Bacterial Disease Outbreakby East African on 27/01/2021 at 15:27
[East African] Rwanda is set to embark on a countrywide vaccination of pigs as it seeks to protect them from swine erysipelas, a bacterial infection that has affected the animals in parts of the country.
- Rwanda: Rwanda to Upgrade Covid-19 Testing to Detect Variants - Ministerby East African on 27/01/2021 at 12:46
[East African] Rwanda plans to upgrade its testing capacity to be able to trace the new variants of the coronavirus in the country.
- Angola: Covid-19 - Angola Reports 77 New Cases, 61 Recoveriesby ANGOP on 27/01/2021 at 12:00
[ANGOP] Luanda -- Angola has registered 77 new cases, 61 patients recovered and one death in the last 24 hours.
- Cameroon: Birth Registration - 166 Million Children Still "Invisible" Worldwideby Cameroon Tribune on 27/01/2021 at 11:30
[Cameroon Tribune] Though the situation across the globe has improved by 20 per cent in the past 10 years, a quarter of the world's children under five years still do not own birth certificates.
- Cameroon: Maternal, Newborn, Child Health - Mortality Rates Curbed, Hospital Delivery Figures Raisedby Cameroon Tribune on 27/01/2021 at 11:30
[Cameroon Tribune] Statistics from Doume Health District in the East Region show that greater awareness and the offer of motorbike ambulances by UNICEF have enabled more rural women to be promptly transported to health facilities for safe delivery.
- Central Africa: How to Hold a Former Child Soldier Accountable?by HRW on 27/01/2021 at 07:49
[HRW] Dominic Ongwen, Kidnapped by the LRA at Age 10, to Face ICC Judgment
- Congo-Kinshasa: What's Next for President Felix Tshisekedi Without Joseph Kabila?by DW on 27/01/2021 at 05:29
[DW] Kinshasa's parliament is expected to pass a vote of no confidence against DR Congo's prime minister. It's President Tshisekedi's latest attempt to rid himself of an onerous coalition. But his problems are far from over.
[wp_rss_multi_importer category=”12″ maximgwidth=”100″]