West African News Headlines aggregated from diverse sources, including Nigerian, Ghanian, Ivory Coast, Burkina Farso, Guinean, Liberian, Niger, Gambian, Senegalese, Benin, Togolese and other regional newspapers.
AllAfrica News: West Africa All Africa, All the Time.
- Nigeria: Poor Scheduling As Bane of Nigerian Airlinesby This Day on 20/05/2022 at 15:02
[This Day] Air travel in Nigeria is beset by delays caused by many factors, which include weather, breakdown of aircraft, poor airport facilities and poor scheduling.
- Nigeria: At Nibf 2022, Stakeholders Call for Govt Support for Book Industry, Fight Against Piracyby This Day on 20/05/2022 at 14:42
[This Day] The three-day traditional feast for book lovers, Nigerian International Book Festival (NIBF) 2022 edition came to a wrap last week with stakeholders urging the government to support the book industry and be more aggressive in the fight against piracy. Held at Harbour Point Event Centre, Victoria Island, Lagos, the event which had as its Chief Host, the Executive Governor of Lagos State, Mr Babajide Sanwo-olu as its chief host, was indeed a potpourri of activities. School competitions, authors' groove, pane
- Africa: Digitalisation of Africa's Airports Key to Economic Recoveryby This Day on 20/05/2022 at 14:41
[This Day] Critical airport worker and capacity shortfalls in Africa that threaten to keep flights and passengers grounded and impede the continents' economic recovery can be rapidly and affordably addressed with the adoption of trusted, secure cloud-based solutions, according to SITA, the air transport industry IT and communications systems provider.
- Ghana: GhanaPost Appeals for Government Businesses to Remain Competitiveby GhanaToday on 20/05/2022 at 14:40
[GhanaToday] The Managing Director of GhanaPost, Bice Osei Kuffuor, has called for a deliberate policy direction to support the State-Owned Courier organisation with government business to enable it to generate enough revenue to fund its infrastructure.
- Ghana: UBA Ghana Pledges to Support to 'Youthstart' Programmeby GhanaToday on 20/05/2022 at 14:40
[GhanaToday] The Managing Director of United Bank of Africa (UBA) Ghana, Chris Ofikulu, has pledged the bank's support for the new youth development programme 'YouthStart' which is expected to commerce this year.
- Cameroon: Violence, Lockdown, Running Battles Paralyze Cameroon Day in Western Regionsby VOA on 20/05/2022 at 14:23
[VOA] Yaounde -- Cameron's National Day on May 20 has been marked by running battles between government troops and separatists who imposed a lockdown, crippling business in English-speaking western regions. The military says at least 28 separatists who vowed to disrupt celebrations in English-speaking regions of the majority francophone nation were killed in violent battles. President Paul Biya is attending commemorations.
- Liberia: Senate Concurs With House for Amendment of Alien and Nationality Lawby FrontPageAfrica on 20/05/2022 at 14:01
[FrontPageAfrica] Monrovia -- The Liberian Senate on Thursday voted in the majority in favor of the passage of the amended Alien and Nationality Law. The Senate vote Thursday was a concurrence vote as the House of Representatives had earlier passed the bill.
- Liberia: Mixed Reactions Trail Senator Tokpa's Pronouncement to Seek Re-Election in Bong County 2023by FrontPageAfrica on 20/05/2022 at 14:01
[FrontPageAfrica] Gbarnga -- The announcement Saturday by Bong County Senator Dr. Henrique Tokpa that he would be seeking re-election for a second term in 2023 has evoked mixed reactions from different segments of the county.
- Liberia: Senate Wants Performance Audit of NASSCORPby FrontPageAfrica on 20/05/2022 at 14:00
[FrontPageAfrica] Monrovia -- The Liberian Senate has voted in agreement that a performance audit of the National Social Security and Welfare Corporation (NASSCORP) will be a key requirement for the confirmation of President George Weah's two nominees for positions of Director-General and Deputy Director-General, respectively.
- Africa: Preventing Atrocity At State Levelby FrontPageAfrica on 20/05/2022 at 14:00
[FrontPageAfrica] Monrovia -- Six African countries including Liberia are participating in a three-day capacity building workshop on how to prevent atrocity at the state level. The workshop commenced Wednesday, May 18, 2022, in Monrovia with a call for governments in Africa to invest in preventing atrocity.
- Liberia: Why Boakai Distanced Himself From WhatsApp Chatroom in Ongoing Cummings Trialby FrontPageAfrica on 20/05/2022 at 14:00
[FrontPageAfrica] Monrovia -- The WhatsApp Messenger App seems to have a key role to play in the ongoing trial of Alexander Cummings of the Alternative National Congress (ANC), his party chairman, Senator Daniel Natheen and Secretary-General Alloysius Gould. It all began with the omission of several portions of chats between July 2 to July 19 by the prosecution. The prosecution would later say it was inadvertent, but that was after a strong fight by the defense to have those chats reflected in the submitted evidence. The prosecution de
- Liberia: Grand Gedeh Youth Give 72-HR Ultimatum for the Return of Missing Election Magistrate's Living Bodyby FrontPageAfrica on 20/05/2022 at 14:00
[FrontPageAfrica] Monrovia -- Youths hailing from Grand Gedeh County are calling on the government to bring to book perpetrators connected to the mysterious disappearance of the National Election Commission (NEC) Acting Magistrate in Grand Gedeh County.
- Liberia: Senate Names Six-Man Committee to Tour RIAby FrontPageAfrica on 20/05/2022 at 14:00
[FrontPageAfrica] Monrovia -- Senator Johnathan Sogbie of River-Gee County will Chair a Senate committee of six-man to visit the Roberts International Airport (RIA) and ascertain issues and challenges faced by the management of the Airport that has led to life-threatening services at the country's only international airport.
- Liberia: Rep. Kolubah Risks Legal Suit for Allegations Against Minister of Public Works and Minister of Stateby FrontPageAfrica on 20/05/2022 at 14:00
[FrontPageAfrica] Monrovia -- Montserrado County Electoral District #10 Representative Yekeh Y. Kolubah was not only thrown out of session on the first day of return from the break for the fifth session, he now risks legal action from Public Works Minister-designate, Madam Ruth Coker-Collins who he accused in open session of having an affair with Minister of State Nathaniel McGill.
- Liberia: LMHRA Opens Regional Office At Liberia-Guinea Borderby FrontPageAfrica on 20/05/2022 at 14:00
[FrontPageAfrica] Monrovia -- To curtail the proliferation and importation of Substandard and Falsified Medicines in Liberia; the premier public pharmaceutical regulatory authority in Liberia, the Liberia Medicines and Health Products Regulatory Authority (LMHRA) has opened a new regional office in Gompa City, Nimba County; to help combat the importation and sale of these unwanted pharmaceuticals to the people of Bong, Nimba and Lofa Counties.
- Liberia: Deputy Minister Gbagonyon Praises UNESCO and Partners On Heritage Sites Selection for Liberiaby FrontPageAfrica on 20/05/2022 at 14:00
[FrontPageAfrica] France, UNESCO -- Deputy Minister for Culture Affairs and Tourism at the Ministry of Information, Culture Affairs and Tourism, Lance Gbagonyon has underscored and acknowledged the support and partnership of UNESCO, The African Heritage Fund, the Japanese Government and the UNESCO Africa Unit for Liberia's desire for its recognition of Liberia's heritage sites.
- Liberia: President Weah Announces Renegotiations With Arcelor Mittal for an 'Amendment That Fairly Satisfies' All Partiesby FrontPageAfrica on 20/05/2022 at 14:00
[FrontPageAfrica] Monrovia -- President George Weah has announced the authorization of the Inter-Ministerial Concession Committee (IMCC) to engage Arcelor Mittal for the resubmission of an amendment that will be in the interest of a parties.
- Ghana: Female Entrepreneurs Urged to Pay Taxes Regularlyby Ghanaian Times on 20/05/2022 at 13:48
[Ghanaian Times] The Deputy Minister of Trade and Industry, Nana AmaDokuaAsiamah-Adjei, has urged female entrepreneurs and trade groups in the country to regularly comply with their tax obligations.
- Ghana: GPHA Congratulates Director-General for Winning Iaph Vice-Pres for African Regionby Ghanaian Times on 20/05/2022 at 13:48
[Ghanaian Times] The Ghana Ports and Harbours Authority (GPHA) has congratulated its Director General, Mr Michael AchagweLuguje, on his election as the Vice-President (Africa Region) of the International Association of Ports and Harbours (IAPH).
- Ghana: Determining Global Cocoa Price - Let's Support Ghana - Cote d'Ivoire Cocoa Initiative ... Cocobod Boss Lobbies African Countriesby Ghanaian Times on 20/05/2022 at 13:48
[Ghanaian Times] The Chief Executive of the Ghana Cocoa Board (COCOBOD), Joseph BoahenAidoo, has invited cocoa producing countries in Africa to join the Ghana - Cote d'Ivoire Cocoa Initiative in order to give the continent a stronger voice in the cocoa value chain in the world.
- Ghana: Ashantigold-Inter Allies Match-Fixing Report Good but ...by Ghanaian Times on 20/05/2022 at 13:48
[Ghanaian Times] When news broke on Monday about the demotion of Ghana Premier League (GPL) side, AshantiGold and Division One League (DOL) club, Inter Allies to the second division of Ghana Football over match-fixing allegations, few expressed surprise at the verdict of guilty reached by the Disciplinary Committee (DC) of the Ghana Football Association (GFA).
- Ghana: Communications Minister Launches National Digital Academyby Ghanaian Times on 20/05/2022 at 13:48
[Ghanaian Times] The Minister of Communications and Digitalisation, Mrs Ursula Owusu-Ekuful, has launched the National Digital Academy (NDA) with a call on the youth to embrace digital opportunity to build their skills.
- Ghana: Mine Health, Safety Officers Update Knowledgeby Ghanaian Times on 20/05/2022 at 13:47
[Ghanaian Times] Over 40 health and safety officers from various mining firms have began a five -day training programme to enhance and update their knowledge on modernFirst Aid procedures.
- West Africa: Women Excluded From Decision-Making But Do You Know Just How Much?by allAfrica on 20/05/2022 at 12:41
[allAfrica] Johannesburg -- Did you know ... in the whole of West Africa there have only been three women heads of state since 1957 (Guinea-Bissau and Liberia), there are only two women speakers currently in the legislature (Togo and Benin) and there are only two countries with over 30% women's representation in legislative chambers (Cabo Verde and Senegal)?
- Nigeria: 18 Million Nigerians Projected to Be Food Insecure Between June and August 2022 - FAOby This Day on 20/05/2022 at 06:27
[This Day] The Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) has projected that by June and August 2022, the number of food insecure in Nigeria will be around 18 million people, of which 620,000 are foreseen to face CH Phase 4 (Emergency) and 13 550 CH Phase 5 (Catastrophe).
- Nigeria: Relatives of Train Attack Victims Oppose Resumption of Railway Serviceby VOA on 20/05/2022 at 05:26
[VOA] Abuja, Nigeria -- Families of people kidnapped from a train in Nigeria's Kaduna state two months ago are protesting a decision by authorities to resume service on the railway next week.
- Nigeria: Buhari Signs Health Insurance Bill Into Lawby Premium Times on 20/05/2022 at 05:22
[Premium Times] The new bill repeals the National Health Insurance Scheme (NHIS) Act which has been in existence since 2004.
- Nigeria: In Three Months, Terrorists Kill 360, Abduct 1,389 in Kadunaby This Day on 20/05/2022 at 05:22
[This Day] The Kaduna State Governor, Mallam Nasir El-Rufai, has expressed concern over the existence of Boko Haram and Ansaru terrorist enclaves, particularly in Birnin-Gwari and Chikun Local Government Areas of the state.
- Nigeria: Buhari Departs for UAE On Condolence, to Meet New Presidentby Premium Times on 20/05/2022 at 05:22
[Premium Times] The President is expected back in the country on Saturday.
- Nigeria: LGBTQ Community Fights Restrictive Cross-Dressing Billby VOA on 20/05/2022 at 05:22
[VOA] Dressed in rainbow-colored vests, members of the LGBTQ community marched in a risky demonstration in Nigeria's capital, Abuja, to protest a bill introduced by lawmakers in Nigeria's lower house of parliament last month seeking to ban cross-dressing.
[wp_rss_multi_importer category=”9″ maximgwidth=”100″]