West African News Headlines aggregated from diverse sources, including Nigerian, Ghanian, Ivory Coast, Burkina Farso, Guinean, Liberian, Niger, Gambian, Senegalese, Benin, Togolese and other regional newspapers.
AllAfrica News: West Africa All Africa, All the Time.
- Nigeria: Dogged By Slow Internet Connectivity, Nigerians and Their Businesses Count Lossesby Premium Times on 23/10/2021 at 08:02
[Premium Times] Erratic internet connection is routine in Nigeria, with the country trailing in terms of broadband penetration and speed averages.
- Nigeria: Rotational Presidency - Our Fear of Southern President - Northern Elitesby Vanguard on 23/10/2021 at 07:03
[Vanguard] The political understanding to compensate the South West region of the country, following the annulment of the 1993 presidential elections won by late Bashorun M K O Abiola and his subsequent death in detention while insisting on actualizing his mandate gave birth to the idea of rotational presidency between the north and the south of the country.
- Liberia: Libyan Govt Plan Needed to End 'Dire Situation' of Asylum Seekers, Refugeesby UN News on 23/10/2021 at 06:16
[UN News] The Libyan government must immediately address the dire situation of asylum-seekers and refugees, in a humane manner, consistent with international human rights law, the UN refugee agency (UNHCR) said on Friday.
- Nigeria: Miss Nigeria 2021 Calls for Participation, N10m for Winnerby This Day on 23/10/2021 at 05:46
[This Day] Folio Group, one of Nigeria's leading multi-media conglomerates and organisers of the Miss Nigeria beauty pageant, has officially announced the 2021 edition of the country's oldest and most prestigious beauty pageant.
- Nigeria: U.S. Committed to Assisting Nigeria Tackle Insecurity - Officialby Premium Times on 23/10/2021 at 05:43
[Premium Times] "The US is the largest humanitarian donor in response to the north-east crisis, providing $1.45 billion since 2015."
- Nigeria: U.S. Govt Officials Ask Court to Dismiss IPOB's Suit Seeking to Stop Fighter Jets to Nigeriaby Premium Times on 23/10/2021 at 05:43
[Premium Times] Two senior members of President Joe Biden's cabinet sued by IPOB say the court lacked jurisdiction to adjudicate on the organisation's claims.
- Nigeria: Netflix, Unesco Launch Short Film Competition for Sub-Saharan African Filmmakersby Premium Times on 23/10/2021 at 05:43
[Premium Times] Winners of the competition will be provided with a US$75,000 production budget to create short films that will premiere on Netflix in 2022
- Nigeria: Nigerian Govt Elevating #EndSARS Protest to 'Undying Movement' - Groupby Premium Times on 23/10/2021 at 05:43
[Premium Times] "Believing that you can suppress and cow this generation to submission will never work. The government cannot rule a digital generation using analog manual, no matter how they try, they will fail."
- Nigeria: Nigeria Separatist Leader Pleads Not Guilty to Charges At Start of Trialby VOA on 23/10/2021 at 05:42
[VOA] Abuja, Nigeria -- Nigerian separatist Nnamdi Kanu has pleaded not guilty to charges brought against him by authorities. The leader of secessionist group The Indigenous People of Biafra, or IPOB, was captured in Kenya in June and repatriated to Nigeria to face trial.
- West Africa: Still Dangerous, Boko Haram Hanging On in West Africaby VOA on 23/10/2021 at 05:42
[VOA] Washington -- The United States is monitoring reports militants aligned with Boko Haram are taking over communities in north-central Nigeria, part of what appears to be an attempted revival by the al-Qaida-linked terror group.
- Nigeria: Suspected IPOB Members Attacked 164 Police Facilities, Killed 175 Security Personnel - Nigerian Govtby Premium Times on 23/10/2021 at 05:42
[Premium Times] The government also said suspected IPOB members carried out 19 attacks on the facilities of the electoral commission, INEC.
- Nigeria: Govt Identifies Sunday Igboho's Sponsors, Discloses How Millions Were Pumped Into His Accountsby Daily Trust on 23/10/2021 at 05:42
[Daily Trust] The Federal Government has identified the sponsors of self-acclaimed activist, Sunday Adeyemo, better known as Sunday Igboho.
- Nigeria: Nigerian Singers On Musical Tour in 2021by Daily Trust on 23/10/2021 at 05:42
[Daily Trust] The Nigerian music industry continues to blossom with the arrival of new acts and an increase in quality and lyrical content.
- Mali: Alleged 'Disappearances,' Executions By Security Forces in Maliby HRW on 23/10/2021 at 05:42
[HRW] Bamako -- Malian authorities should investigate a spate of alleged summary executions, enforced disappearances, and incommunicado detentions by government security forces, Human Rights Watch said today. The United Nations Security Council, visiting Mali on October 24 and 25, 2021, should press the government to make progress on justice for serious crimes by state security forces and non-state armed groups.
- Nigeria: North Central Zone Govs Task Govt On Upward Review of Revenue Allocationby This Day on 22/10/2021 at 12:18
[This Day] The six state governors in the North-central have advocated for total review of the revenue allocation, urging the federal government to consider relinquishing portions of her share to the states and local government.
- Sierra Leone: Cricket - Nigeria Leads Sierra Leone 2-1 in T20 Bilateral Seriesby Premium Times on 22/10/2021 at 12:18
[Premium Times] The fourth game of the series is scheduled for Saturday at the University of Lagos.
- Nigeria: CBN Says Banks Remain Stable, Resilient Despite Pandemicby Vanguard on 22/10/2021 at 12:18
[Vanguard] The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) says banks in the country have remained stable, robust and resilient in spite of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Nigeria: IMF Upgrades Nigeria's Economic Growth Forecast to 2.7 Percentby Vanguard on 22/10/2021 at 12:18
[Vanguard] The International Monetary Fund, IMF, has upgraded its forecast for Nigeria's economic growth in 2022 and 2021 to 2.7 per cent and 2.6 per cent respectively, citing recovery in non oil sectors and rising price of crude oil.
- Nigeria: Premium Times, NGF Train Journalists On Peace, Conflict-Sensitive Reportingby Premium Times on 22/10/2021 at 12:18
[Premium Times] The training was organised to help the journalists effectively report on conflict and other sensitive issues in their various beats.
- Nigeria: Nigerian Stocks Climb By N237 Billion As Big-Cap Stocks Strengthen Gainsby Premium Times on 22/10/2021 at 12:18
[Premium Times] The all-share index jumped 454.40 points to 41,704.11, while market capitalisation rose to N21.8 trillion at the end of trade.
- Nigeria: Nigeria Not a Complete Disaster - Wole Soyinkaby Vanguard on 22/10/2021 at 12:18
[Vanguard] "Chronicles from the Land of the Happiest People on Earth". That's the title of Nobel laureate, Professor Wole Soyinka's new novel.
- Nigeria: Leon Balogun, Osimhen Celebrate Europa League Goalsby Premium Times on 22/10/2021 at 12:14
[Premium Times] The goals by the Nigerian duo were crucial for their respective teams as they helped get important wins.
- Nigeria: Poll - Buhari Orders Massive Deployment of Security Agents in Anambraby Premium Times on 22/10/2021 at 12:14
[Premium Times] "The president has made it very clear that the armed forces, security agencies and law enforcement agencies must make sure that the elections take place if it means overwhelming the entire environment with the presence of security agencies."
- Nigeria: New African Writer, Cynthia Abdallah, 'Tackles Broad Range of Themes'by Premium Times on 22/10/2021 at 12:14
[Premium Times] Cynthia Abdallah's work shows wide scope and poetic flair
- Nigeria: Don't Indulge in Crime to Survive Present Economic Hardship, Hezekiah Tells Nigeriansby Vanguard on 22/10/2021 at 12:14
[Vanguard] Onitsha -- THE Founder/General Superintendent of Living Christ Mission, LCM, Professor Daddy Hezekiah (MFR), (JP), (Ambassador of Peace) and (International Mayor of Peace), has charged Nigerians not to use the present economic hardship in the country as an excuse to indulge in ritual killings, robbery, Obtaining by false Pretence, OBT, cultism, kidnapping and other vices.
- Nigeria: Hoodlums Attacked Us With Petrol Bombs, Injured One - Imo Policeby Vanguard on 22/10/2021 at 12:14
[Vanguard] Imo State Police Command on Friday said hoodlums suspected to be members of the Eastern Security Network, ESN, armed group of the Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, used petrol bombs to set ablaze the Police station in Umuelemai, Isiala Mbano Local Government Area of the State, last Thursday night.
- Cameroon: Sham Trial for Kumba School Massacreby HRW on 22/10/2021 at 08:57
[HRW] Nairobi -- One Year On, No Justice in Military Tribunal Proceedings
- Nigeria: Army Confirms Killing of New ISWAP Leaderby Premium Times on 22/10/2021 at 06:39
[Premium Times] "Two days ago, the man who succeeded him, one Malam Bako, one of the prominent leaders of the Shura Council of the Islamic State of West African Province, was also taken out."
- Nigeria: Kebbi School Children Released Four Months After Abductionby Premium Times on 22/10/2021 at 04:28
[Premium Times] Government says 30 students were released but the bandits are still holding an undisclosed number of others
- Nigeria: How Farmers in Abuja Community Use 'Agroforestry Models' to Fight Climate Change #AfricaClimateCrisisby Premium Times on 22/10/2021 at 04:28
[Premium Times] By intentionally growing crops among trees in a way that each crop does not inhibit the growth of the other, farmers in the Nigerian capital promote sustainable ecosystems that support efficient biodiversity.
[wp_rss_multi_importer category=”9″ maximgwidth=”100″]