West African News Headlines aggregated from diverse sources, including Nigerian, Ghanian, Ivory Coast, Burkina Farso, Guinean, Liberian, Niger, Gambian, Senegalese, Benin, Togolese and other regional newspapers.
AllAfrica News: West Africa All Africa, All the Time.
- Nigeria: Digital Economy Is New Gold of Revenue Generation - Fowler on 09/12/2019 at 07:30
[Vanguard] Chairman of the Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS), Babatunde Fowler, has described the digital space as the new gold in revenue generation in the country.
- West Africa: West Africa Single Currency - a Journey to Nowhere? on 09/12/2019 at 07:25
[This Day] Obinna Chima wonders if West African countries can ever meet the target of adopting a single currency in the region, especially with January 2020 no longer achievable
- Nigeria: Troops Rescue 14 Women,17 Children From Insurgents in Borno on 09/12/2019 at 07:20
[Vanguard] The Nigerian Army has said 31 persons comprising 14 women and 17/children have been rescued from insurgents by troops in yet another successful operations launched against terrorists in Borno State.
- Nigeria: PDP Cries Foul As APC Wins All Chairmanship Seats in Ekiti LG Election on 09/12/2019 at 07:11
[Premium Times] The All Progressives Congress (APC) has won the chairmanship seats in all the 16 local government areas in Ekiti State.
- Nigeria: RevolutionNow - Sowore, PDP, Atiku Are Cowards, Must Be Resisted - APC on 09/12/2019 at 06:56
[Vanguard] The ruling All Progressives Congress APC has described the detained activist and convener of RevolutionNow Movement, Omoyele Sowore as well as the Peoples Democratic Party PDP and it's Presidential candidate in the last elections, Atiku Abubakar as cowards for making inciting comments bordering on the overthrow of the government.
- Nigeria: Buhari's $30bn Loan Request - Stakeholders Caution Govt, NASS on 09/12/2019 at 06:56
[Vanguard] With Nigeria's debt stock growing by 3.11 per cent from $81.27 billion recorded in the first quarter of 2019 to $83.88 billion (N25.70 trillion) at the end of June 2019, economists are almost unanimous in opposition to President Muhammadu Buhari's request to the National Assembly last week for permission to obtain an external loan of $29.96 billion, which the administration claimed it needed to execute key infrastructural projects across the country.
- Nigeria: IPPIS - Govt Won't Obey Orders, If Taken to Court - ASUU on 09/12/2019 at 06:56
[Vanguard] Ibadan -The Academic Staff Union of Universities, ASUU, yesterday, alleged that the Federal Government would not obey the law if it seeks redress in court over the knotty issue of the Integrated Personnel Payroll and Information System, IPPIS.
- Nigeria: Lawan Explains Why Senate Is in a Hurry to Deliver on 09/12/2019 at 06:56
[Vanguard] President of the Senate, Ahmad Lawan, on Sunday advanced reasons why the ninth Senate is in a hurry to deliver on some of the targets set in its legislative agenda.
- Nigeria: I Won't Contest Election Again - Goje on 09/12/2019 at 06:49
[Daily Trust] Gombe -Senator representing Gombe Central Senatorial District at the National Assembly Muhammad Danjuma Goje, yesterday, announced his decision not to contest election again.
- Nigeria: Moody's Negative Outlook Reflects Current Realities - Experts on 09/12/2019 at 06:48
[Daily Trust] Lagos -Moody's negative outlook on Nigeria reflects current realities in the country, experts have said.
- Nigeria: Buhari's 100 Million Nigerians Out of Poverty Target Achievable in 10 Years - NDE DG on 09/12/2019 at 06:48
[Daily Trust] Director General of the National Directorate of Employment, Nasir Ladan, Mohammed Argungu, in this interview, expressed confidence that President Muhammadu Buhari can take 100 million Nigerians out of poverty and sustain peace and national development. He also said the NDE has trained 1,019,653 unemployed people in two and a half years through entrepreneurial skills development.
- Nigeria: Orji Kalu Will Receive Full Salaries, Allowances in Prison - Senate on 09/12/2019 at 06:35
[Premium Times] The convicted Chief Whip of the Senate, Orji Kalu, will continue to receive his salaries and all other entitlements while in prison, the Senate has said.
- Nigeria: We Are Deeply Concerned About Sowore's Rearrest - U.S. on 09/12/2019 at 06:22
[This Day] The united States Government has said it is deeply concerned that the Publisher of Sahara Reporters, Mr. Omoyele Sowore, who is also the convener of #RevolutionNow, has been rearrested by the Department of State Services.
- Nigeria: Malami to Represent Buhari At Rwanda's Anti-Corruption Award on 09/12/2019 at 06:22
[This Day] Abuja -The Attorney-General of the Federation (AGF) and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami (SAN), will be representing President Muhammadu Buhari at the fourth edition of the Sheikh Tamim International Anti-Corruption Excellence Award ceremony holding on Monday, December 9 in Kigali, Rwanda.
- Nigeria: Nigeria's Foremost Footwear Brand, St.Davids Celebrates 20 Years on 09/12/2019 at 06:21
[This Day] One of Nigeria's foremost footwear brands, St.Davids founded by Renowned Shoe Maker, Ibe David Okechukwu is known with his brand for top quality and first class service delivery to both local and international market when it comes to men footwear's. Over the years, the brand has evolved from being a one man business into a household venture making use of the very best material and well-motivated staff to produce world class products and services at a friendly and affordable price range.
- Nigeria: 800,000 Nigerian Women Live With Fistula - UNFPA on 09/12/2019 at 06:20
[Daily Trust] Kaduna -The United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) says 800,000 women live with Vesico Vaginal Fistula VVF in Nigeria.
- Nigeria: Rice Farmers Urge Nigerian Govt to Sustain Border Closure on 09/12/2019 at 05:54
[Premium Times] The Rice Farmers Association of Nigeria (RIFAN) has urged the federal government to sustain its current border closure, saying it would help boost the economy.
- Nigeria: While Nigeria Keeps Mum, Dutch Govt Acts On Premium Times Investigation of FrieslandCampina Wamco on 09/12/2019 at 05:54
[Premium Times] Tijani and Yusufa in their hovel on the cattle farm. Like other children, they spend nights there with cows
- Nigeria: Hajj Crane Accident - Saudi Pays Compensation to Nigerian Victims - Official on 09/12/2019 at 05:53
[Premium Times] The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia has released compensation to be paid to the families of the Nigerian victims of the 2015 Hajj crawler crane accident, the National Hajj Commission of Nigeria has disclosed.
- Nigeria: Why Orji Kalu's Seat Won't Be Declared Vacant - Senate on 09/12/2019 at 05:51
[Premium Times] The Senate has said it will not declare the seat of its convicted chief whip, Orji Uzor Kalu, vacant.
- Nigeria: Actors Must Set Money Aside for Their Future - Akin Lewis on 09/12/2019 at 05:51
[Premium Times] Akin Lewis, one of Nigeria's finest actors, began his acting career in 1973, the same year he joined a drama group led by Bode Sowande, a Nigerian professor, writer and dramatist.
- Nigeria: UK Court Ruling Knocks Back Rivers Govt's Bid to Acquire Shell's Oil Asset in Ogoniland on 09/12/2019 at 05:50
[Premium Times] Last Thursday's ruling of a UK high court rejecting a request by the Ejama-Ebubu community in Tai Eleme Local Government Area of Rivers State has put a wedge in the attempt by the Rivers State government to acquire a stake in a disputed mining lease in Ogoniland.
- Nigeria: Lagos Seals 24 Pharmacies, Patent Medicine Stores on 09/12/2019 at 05:49
[Premium Times] The Lagos State Government says it has sealed 24 pharmacies and patent medicine stores in various parts of the state for illegal operation and operating beyond scope of pharmaceutical practice.
- Nigeria: Polio Eradication - African Commission Begins Verification Visit to Nigeria on 09/12/2019 at 05:49
[Premium Times] The Africa Regional Certification Commission (ARCC) for poliomyelitis eradication will on Monday begin to assess if Nigeria has successfully eradicated wild poliovirus.
- Nigeria: SERAP Condemns Buhari for Comparing Sowore, Bakare With Boko Haram on 09/12/2019 at 05:49
[Premium Times] The civil society group, Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP), has condemned the presidency for comparing Omoyele Sowore and Olawale Bakare with Boko Haram militants.
- Nigeria: Nigeria to Unveil New Visa Regime This Year - Official on 09/12/2019 at 05:45
[Premium Times] The Comptroller General (CGI) of Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS), Muhammad Babandede, says the federal government plans to introduce a new visa regime to boost the economy.
- West Africa: Runaway Warming Could Sink Fishing and Reef Tourism, Researchers Warn on 09/12/2019 at 04:43
[Thomson Reuters Foundation] London -Reef tourism, a nearly $36-billion-a-year industry today, could see more than 90% losses by 2100, ocean experts warn
- Nigeria: DSS Says Sowore's Rearrest Video Mischief, Propaganda on 08/12/2019 at 12:30
[Daily Trust] The Department of State Services (DSS) says circulation of a video on attempt to rearrest Omoyele Sowore, the convener of the RevolutionNow protest in a courtroom, was a mischief.
- Nigeria: U.S. Expresses 'Deep Concern' About Sowore's Arrest on 08/12/2019 at 12:13
[Premium Times] The U.S. government has said it is 'deeply concerned' by the rearrest of Omoyele Sowore by the State Security Service (SSS).
- Nigeria: Distorted Narratives About Islamic Schools Deflect Ugly Truths About Nigerian Society on 08/12/2019 at 09:42
[The Conversation Africa] Recent reports about the mistreatment of children in Nigeria included news reports of "torture houses" at Islamic schools in a number of states. The catchy news headlines came close to invoking mass hysteria by linking events at the schools to kidnapping, child begging, Boko Haram and Nigeria's reported 10 million "out of school" children.
[wp_rss_multi_importer category=”9″ maximgwidth=”100″]