West African News Headlines aggregated from diverse sources, including Nigerian, Ghanian, Ivory Coast, Burkina Farso, Guinean, Liberian, Niger, Gambian, Senegalese, Benin, Togolese and other regional newspapers.
AllAfrica News: West Africa All Africa, All the Time.
- Nigeria: CBN Authorises Over-the-Counter Payment of New Naira Notesby This Day on 03/02/2023 at 09:44
[This Day] The Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Mr. Godwin Emefiele, yesterday directed deposit money banks (DMBs) to commence payment of the redesigned naira notes over the counter subject to a maximum daily payout limit of N20,000.
- Nigeria: FAAN Moves to Make Nigeria Major Player in Cargo Freightingby This Day on 03/02/2023 at 09:43
[This Day] Chinedu Eze
- Nigeria: Major General Victor Ezugwu - Building Nigeria's First Indigenous Mine Resistant, Ambush Protected Armoured Carrierby This Day on 03/02/2023 at 09:42
[This Day] As part of ongoing efforts by the Nigerian Army to promote local content initiative in weapon systems production, the force threw its full weight behind Major General Victor Okwudili Ezugwu to design and build the first indigenous Mine Resistant Ambush Protected, MRAP, vehicle. Done at the Command Engineering Depot in conjunction with the Defence Industries Corporation of Nigeria, DICON, the MRAP has become the game changer in the fight against insurgency and terrorism. Recently, Chiemelie Ezeobi reports t
- Nigeria: Govt, Daewoo Sign Deal for Maintenance of Kaduna Refinery for $740millionby This Day on 03/02/2023 at 09:42
[This Day] *NNPC says Port Harcourt refinery 64% completed
- Nigeria: Govt Earned $18bn From Export of Urea Fertilizer, Ginger, Sesame in Seven Yearsby This Day on 03/02/2023 at 09:42
[This Day] Abuja -- The federal government has said it achieved significant revenue of $18 billion from 2015- 2022 from non-oil exports such as Urea Fertilizer, Ginger and Sesame.
- Nigeria: Buhari Rejoices With Arise News Channel On Its 10th Anniversaryby This Day on 03/02/2023 at 08:35
[This Day] President Muhammadu Buhari yesterday congratulated the Founder/Chairman of ARISE Media Group, Prince Nduka Obaigbena as well as the management and staff of ARISE News Channel on the 10th anniversary of the international broadcast station.
- Nigeria: Finance Minister 'Surprised' As Moody's Downgrades Nine Nigerian Banksby Premium Times on 03/02/2023 at 08:32
[Premium Times] The downgrade of the nine lenders also affected their issuer ratings and the senior unsecured debt ratings.
- Nigeria: Governor Badaru Decries Scarcity of Naira Notes in Jigawa, Charges CBN to Actby Premium Times on 03/02/2023 at 08:32
[Premium Times] Governor Badaru laments that scarcity of new Naira notes has almost crippled economic activities in Jigawa State.
- Nigeria: 2023 - Why Peter Obi Cannot Win Presidential Election - El-Rufaiby Premium Times on 03/02/2023 at 08:32
[Premium Times] The governor said some polls were not conducted accurately and that Mr Obi's Labour Party is using ethnicity and religious bigotry in its campaign.
- Nigeria: Buhari Excited About Starlink, Says Nigeria's Broadband Penetration Now 100%by Premium Times on 03/02/2023 at 08:32
[Premium Times] "... With this deployment of Starlink, we now have 100 per cent broadband penetration in Nigeria," Mr Buhari said.
- Nigeria: Sheraton Abuja Hotel Changes Nameby Premium Times on 03/02/2023 at 08:32
[Premium Times] The disclosure marks the first corporate action by Capital Hotels since it was acquired by 22 Hospitality Limited in late September.
- Nigeria: Ooni of Ife Goes Hollywoodby This Day on 03/02/2023 at 07:58
[This Day] Ooni of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Ogunwusi, recently made a historic debut in a new Hollywood flick. Titled 'Take Me Home', Ooni played a unique role that befits his throne as the custodian of Yorubaland and brings royalty, honour and authority to the silver screen.
- Nigeria: Lagos City Marathon 2023 Will See World-Class Runners This Weekendby This Day on 03/02/2023 at 07:55
[This Day] Ethiopia's Hayla Bazu Worku will be leading the team of foreign world-class runners that will compete at the Gold-label 8th Access Bank Lagos City Marathon on Saturday, February 4th.
- Nigeria: 2023 Election - Prophets, Pollsters and Endorsersby This Day on 03/02/2023 at 07:52
[This Day] The year 2023 will be an interesting year of hopes, hopes raised, and hopes dashed. It will also feature punters, guessers, guesstimators, prophets, pundits, pollsters and endorsers. It is a good game to predict the result of an election before the votes are cast. Diverse procedures and methods with varying accuracy can be used to achieve the same goal of telling the future. It ranges from clairvoyance to spirituality to educated and/or uneducated guesswork to mere baseless bold pontification to and unscie
- Nigeria: Thousands of Nigerians Join Landmark Lawsuit Against Shell in UKby This Day on 03/02/2023 at 07:51
[This Day] Abuja -- More than 13,500 Nigerians joined their communities in a lawsuit against Shell Plc before a landmark UK trial that could have far-reaching implications for parent-company responsibility over the actions of foreign subsidiaries, Bloomberg reported yesterday.
- Liberia: First-Time Voters Frustrated Over President George Weah's Performanceby Observer on 03/02/2023 at 07:46
[Observer] For Mary Kolee, aged 18, President George Weah has failed the youth and thus does not deserve a second term. She claims that Weah has done poorly in the educational sector.
- Nigeria: UK Govt Turned Down Our Request to Repatriate Diezani Madueke, Says Interpolby This Day on 03/02/2023 at 07:42
[This Day] Abuja -- The Head of National Central Bureau (NCB) INTERPOL, Assistant Inspector General of Police (AIG), Garba Baba Umar, yesterday revealed that the government of United Kingdom (UK) turned down the request of the international police organisation to repatriate former Minister of Petroleum Resources, Mrs. Deziani Alison-Madueke.
- Nigeria: 2023 - Why Peter Obi Cannot Win Presidential Election - El-Rufaiby Premium Times on 03/02/2023 at 07:01
[Premium Times] The governor said the poll was not conducted accurately and that Mr Obi's Labour Party is using ethnicity and religious bigotry in its campaign which will also make him lose the election.
- Nigeria: Nigerian Billionaire, Mmobuosi, Set to Acquire English Club, Sheffield United, in £90m Dealby Leadership on 03/02/2023 at 06:24
[Leadership] Nigerian billionaire, Dozy Mmobuosi, is closing in on a deal to buy Sheffield United for around £90million amid the club's recent transfer embargo.
- Nigeria: Polls - Buhari, APC Govs Meet Fridayby Premium Times on 03/02/2023 at 06:16
[Premium Times] "On the agenda of the governors are issues of the nationwide fuel scarcity and the new Naira notes that have caused social and economic stress for Nigerians especially small businesses who rely on daily cash transactions," the post reads.
- Nigeria: UN Genocide Expert Warns Against Worsening Security Situationby UN News on 03/02/2023 at 06:14
[UN News] The UN Special Adviser on the Prevention of Genocide on Thursday voiced concern over the worsening security situation in Nigeria, while urging the authorities to ensure counter-terrorism operations are conducted in line with international human rights and humanitarian law.
- Nigeria: Central Bank Directs Commercial Banks to Pay New Notes Over the Counter, Sets Limitby Premium Times on 03/02/2023 at 04:59
[Premium Times] The bank stated that the new mode of payment is subject to a maximum daily payout limit of N20,000.
- Nigeria: Fuel Scarcity Not Plan to Sabotage Election - Oil State Firmby Premium Times on 03/02/2023 at 04:53
[Premium Times] "... these glitches started well early in 2022. It has nothing to do with this election period," the NNPC boss said.
- Nigeria: Nigerians Want Competitive Elections but Don't Trust INEC - Surveyby Premium Times on 03/02/2023 at 04:48
[Premium Times] Nigerians say multiple political parties are needed to provide voters with a genuine choice and once elections are over, the losing side should accept defeat and work with the government.
- Nigeria: Fragile Borders Fueling Terrorism, Economic Sabotage, Illicit Flow of Arms - Buhariby Leadership on 03/02/2023 at 04:47
[Leadership] Nigeria and her neighbours must place higher premium on the effective policing of borders, as the fragile nature of entry points into various countries enhance terrorism, economic sabotage, and illicit flow of arms, President Muhammadu Buhari has said.
- Nigeria: Nigeria's Electoral Commission Faces Growing Insecurity Ahead of February 25 Pollsby VOA on 03/02/2023 at 04:42
[VOA] Abuja, Nigeria -- Nigeria's Independent National Electoral Commission says an attack Wednesday on its offices in southeast Anambra state destroyed hundreds of ballot boxes and other election materials. Authorities say armed men also attacked a police station in the area and killed a teenager.
- Nigeria: Nigerians' Grim Outlook Points to High Stakes in Competitive Electionsby Afrobarometer on 03/02/2023 at 04:35
[Afrobarometer] Findings suggest a desire for change and a widening political field.
- Ghana: Water ATMs Are Changing the Way People Can Access This Vital Resourceby The Conversation Africa on 02/02/2023 at 19:01
[The Conversation Africa] Universal, safe and reliable water access is a pressing need in the global south. One-quarter of the world's population don't currently have access to clean drinking water. In Ghana, about 5 million people out of a total population of about 31 million lack access to clean, safe water. One person in ten has to spend more than 30 minutes to get drinking water.
- Congo-Kinshasa: NGOs Demand End to Congo Oil Auction After Leak of Secret Trade-Off Dealby Greenpeace on 02/02/2023 at 15:17
[Greenpeace] A coalition of civil society groups have called for the immediate cancellation of a massive oil and gas auction in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) following news of a secret deal between Oil Minister Didier Budimbu, Nigerian gambling tycoon Chukwuma Ayodeji Ojuroye, and US consultancy GeoSigmoid.
- Nigeria: Niger Delta Communities File Claims Against Shell in UK High Court Over Devastating Oil Spillsby AI London on 02/02/2023 at 14:55
[AI London] Reacting to the news that two Nigerian communities, which have been devastated by oil spills, have filed claims against Shell at the High Court in London, Amnesty International's Head of Business and Human Rights Mark Dummett, said:
[wp_rss_multi_importer category=”9″ maximgwidth=”100″]