West African News Headlines aggregated from diverse sources, including Nigerian, Ghanian, Ivory Coast, Burkina Farso, Guinean, Liberian, Niger, Gambian, Senegalese, Benin, Togolese and other regional newspapers.
AllAfrica News: West Africa All Africa, All the Time.
- Nigeria: 17 Soldiers Killed, Several Abducted in Battle With Boko Haram on 19/01/2020 at 22:56
[This Day] Maiduguri -Not less than 17 soldiers were killed in confrontations between the military and Boko Haram insurgents along Bama-Gwoza road weekend.
- Nigeria: Homeless Children Threat to National Security, Group Warns on 19/01/2020 at 21:44
[This Day] An Ibadan-based humanitarian and philanthropic organisarion, Adunbarin has raised the alarm over security implications of abandoned and home-less children, warning that they could be potential supply source of personnel for banditry, armed robberies and insurgency.
- Nigeria: Again, Fire Guts School Dormitory in Anambra on 19/01/2020 at 21:42
[This Day] Fire incident occurred at Loretto Special Science School, Adazi Nnukwu, Anaocha Local Government Area, Anambra State yesterday, gutting part of the school's dormitory.
- Nigeria: Supreme Court Ruling - Ihedioha Can Still Be Governor on 19/01/2020 at 21:14
[Vanguard] It is no longer news that in line with last week's decision of the Supreme Court, Senator Hope Uzodinma is now the Imo sState governor. Having decided that the exclusion of certain votes in his favour during the collation of votes at the last governorship election in the state was illegal, the Apex Court went ahead to add the said votes which saw to the victory of the new governor. Uzodinma was promptly sworn in. His immediate predecessor, Emeka Ihedioha who had earlier been declared as the duly elected go
- Nigeria: Nigeria's Minister Appoints Daughter as Special Assistant on 19/01/2020 at 21:01
[Premium Times] The Minister of Women Affairs and Social Development, Pauline Tallen, has appointed one of her daughters, Violet Osunde, as a special assistant in her office. It is not clear if the minister's action violated any law, but critics including academics and lawyers said it suggests nepotism and could be a breach of her oath of office. Until her appointment in November, Mrs Osunde was a senior executive assistant with the National Databank Management Department of the National Pension Commission. Mrs Osun
- Nigeria: Troops Arrest Arms Dealer in Kaduna on 19/01/2020 at 20:54
[Daily Trust] Troops of 1 Division, Nigerian Army deployed to Operation Whirl Punch have arrested 50- year-old Ahmadu Mohammed, a suspected gun runner, and recovered 10 locally made rifles from him.
- Nigeria: Outage Rocks Maiduguri As Insurgents Destroy Power Line on 19/01/2020 at 20:52
[Daily Trust] Power outage has persisted in Maiduguri and its environs after insurgents damaged power equipment belonging to the Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN), cutting the area off from the national grid since Friday.
- Nigeria: Sanitary Pads Exempted From VAT Hike on 19/01/2020 at 20:41
[Vanguard] The Federal Government has listed the sanitary pads among the 20 basic food items exempted from the new Valued Added Tax (VAT) increase expected to take effect from February.
- Nigeria: Govt Disburses U.S.$394 Million to Fund Primary Education in 4 Years on 19/01/2020 at 16:29
[Vanguard] Between 2015 and 2018, the federal government disbursed the sum of N142.6 billion to states governments and the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja, for successful implementation of the Universal Basic Education Commission, UBEC.
- Nigeria: AfDB to Invest U.S.$250 Million On Water, Sanitation in FCT on 19/01/2020 at 16:21
[Vanguard] The African Development Bank AfDB, has disclosed of its plan to invest about $250 million in the Water and Sanitation Integrated project of the Federal Capital Territory FCT, in order to complement the Administration's efforts at improving water supply and sanitation in the satellite towns.
- Nigeria: Niger Seeks Approval of U.S.$69 Million Sukuk Bond on 19/01/2020 at 15:27
[This Day] Niger State Governor, Alhaji Abubakar Bello has written to the House of Assembly, requesting legislative approval to secure a N25billion Sukuk bond.
- Nigeria: One Nigerian Woman Raising 300 Children on 19/01/2020 at 15:24
[This Day] She's an embodiment of brain, bravura and belief turning little things into big things and making difficult tasks look simple. Born by a banker and an accountant in the United Kingdom with university education in the United States, Kemi Sokenu-Morris, returned to Nigeria to raise 300 children and cater for other vulnerable people through the Oladiran Olusegun Adebutu Foundation. With self-belief and optimism, Kemi is working her socks off and pushing the envelope, writes Bayo Akinloye
- Nigeria: Lagos Pastor, Paul Adefarasin's Homily on 19/01/2020 at 15:23
[This Day] Lagos pastor and founder of House on the Rock Church, Pastor Paul Adefarasin, is not only a good preacher but also a good motivational speaker.
- Nigeria: Tetfund Unveils U.S.$13,5 Million Projects in Balewa University on 19/01/2020 at 15:13
[This Day] Bauchi -The Executive Secretary, Tertiary Education Trust Fund (TETFUND), Prof. Suleiman Bogoro yesterday unveiled four major projects at the Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University (ATBU), Bauchi valued at N4.9 billion.
- Nigeria: Billionaire Deji Adeleke Lavishes U.S.$65 Million On New Private Jet on 19/01/2020 at 14:54
[This Day] It doesn't need pointing out that wealth affords its handlers a lot of perks, privileges, and bragging rights, and why not? They worked for it. But that has never deterred other folks from stretching necks over and across fenced houses, if only to see what's a-happening. Such is the case with the 'Baba' that Nigerian superstar and music big boy, Davido, always refers to, Dr. Deji Adeleke, and his new wheels on wings.
- Nigeria: Unicef to Immunize 2 million Against Yellow Fever in Ekiti on 19/01/2020 at 14:45
[This Day] To curtail the spread of yellow fever in Ekiti State, the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) has said it will immunize two million persons in the state to protect the population from the scourge.
- Nigeria: Cross River Destroys Illegal Structures in Etim-Edem Park on 19/01/2020 at 11:47
[Vanguard] The Cross River Government has destroyed over 100 illegal shops including containers erected within the premises of the popular Etim-Edem Park in Calabar metropolis.
- Nigeria: Halt Payment of Life Pensions to Council Chairs, Speakers-Serap Asks Abuja Court on 19/01/2020 at 11:42
[Vanguard] Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP) has filed a lawsuit asking the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) High Court to: "declare the life pension edict/law 2019, passed by the Abuja Municipal Area Council (AMAC) null, void, illegal and unconstitutional.
- Nigeria: DPR Seals Five Petrol, Gas Stations in Kogi for Cheating on 19/01/2020 at 11:28
[Vanguard] The Department of Petroleum Resources (DPR), Kogi office, has sealed three petrol filling stations for adjusting their pumps to dispense fuel below the approved quantity.
- Nigeria: Imo Police Warns Pro-Ihedioha Over Planned Protest on 19/01/2020 at 11:23
[Vanguard] Imo State Police Command has warned those planning to publicly protest the sacking of Chief Emeka Ihedioha and installation of Senator Hope Uzodinma as Imo State Governor, by the Supreme Court, that it would not tolerate violence or hijacking of the process by hoodlums.
- Nigeria: Fake Revenue Agents Infiltrate Warri, Council Boss Raises Alarm on 19/01/2020 at 11:22
[Vanguard] The Warri South Local Government Area, Delta State, has raised the alarm over fake revenue agents issuing unauthorised 2020 demand notices to business and residents of Warri, warning that it was illegal.
- Nigeria: Two Killed, Others Injured in Another Gun Attack On Kaduna Village on 18/01/2020 at 23:21
[Daily Trust] Kafanchan -Two people have been killed while another two were injured following an attack on Gora-Gan community in Zango Kataf Local Government Area on Friday evening.
- Nigeria: Military Invasion of Bayelsa Community - Scores Reportedly Missing on 18/01/2020 at 23:19
[Vanguard] Some indigenes of the Bilabiri I and II communities in Ekeremor Local Government Area of Bayelsa State who took refuge in the forest in the wake of Friday's military invasion of the community have still not returned.
- Nigeria: Gunmen Kill Two in Kaduna Community on 18/01/2020 at 22:29
[This Day] Kaduna -Two people were reportedly killed in an attack in Gora village, Zangon Kataf Local Government Area of Kaduna state Friday.
- West Africa: Border Closure Not Meant to Punish Nigeria's Neighbours - Buhari on 18/01/2020 at 22:18
[Vanguard] President Muhammadu Buhari has said that the partial closure of Nigeria's borders was not meant to punish her neighbours, but to strengthen the country's security and economy.
- Nigeria: 608 Former Boko Haram Insurgents Undergoing Rehabilitation - Military on 18/01/2020 at 22:16
[Vanguard] The military authority says no fewer than 608 repentant Boko Haram insurgents are currently undergoing De-radicalisation, Rehabilitation and Reintegration (DRR) Programme by Operation Safe Corridor (OSC) at Malam-Sidi, Gombe State.
- Nigeria: Ruling Party Plotting to Seize Power in Sokoto, Bauchi, Others - Opposition on 18/01/2020 at 21:12
[Daily Trust] The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has alleged that the All Progressives Congress (APC) is planning to use the Supreme Court to take over power in Sokoto, Bauchi, Adamawa and Benue states.
- Nigeria: Fire Razes 10 Shops in Cross River on 18/01/2020 at 21:07
[Vanguard] At least 10 shops have been razed by fire in Ogoja local government area of Cross River State.
- Nigeria: No Regrets for Going to War With Biafra - Gowon on 18/01/2020 at 12:54
[This Day] Former Head of State, retired General Yakubu Gowon, has said his administration had no regret going into the Biafra war because it was necessary to keep Nigeria one.
- Nigeria: Public Debt Stock Inches to U.S.$72,4 Billion, Inflation Jumps to 11.98% on 18/01/2020 at 12:48
[This Day] Total public debt, comprising the federal government's, those of the 36 states and that of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), stood at N26.215 trillion as at September 2019, the Debt Management Office (DMO) has stated.
[wp_rss_multi_importer category=”9″ maximgwidth=”100″]