Africa and Europe in the news, aggregated from diverse sources by allAfrica.com.
AllAfrica News: Europe and Africa All Africa, All the Time.
- Ethiopia: EU to Present Resolution Extending Mandate of UN Rights Experts On Ethiopiaby Addis Standard on 07/10/2022 at 06:45
[Addis Standard] Addis Abeba -- Josep Borrell, High Representative and Vice-President of the European Union, told EU parliament members that the block "will present a resolution at the Human Rights Council renewing the mandate of the International Commission of Human Rights Experts on Ethiopia."
- Africa: U.S.-Russia Power Plays in Africa Food Crisisby The Exchange on 07/10/2022 at 05:14
[The Exchange] The Russia-Ukraine war is causing food shortages in Africa and now the US is moving to help bridge the impending food crisis. Is it a goodwill gesture or a power play?
- Liberia: Foreign Minister Kemayah Condemns Russia for Annexing Ukraine Territoryby FrontPageAfrica on 06/10/2022 at 14:08
[FrontPageAfrica] Monrovia -- Liberia's Foreign Minister Amb. Dee-Maxwell Saah Kemayah, Sr. said it is appalling for any new form of colonialism; as is being manifested by Putin's Russia, "We, therefore, condemn in the strongest term the annexation of parts of Ukraine", Minister Kemayah noted.
- Rwanda: Rwanda in Negotiations With Finland to Fund Kacyiru Hospital Expansionby New Times on 06/10/2022 at 12:58
[New Times] Rwanda is in negotiations with Finland to finance the construction of an 'ultramodern hospital' block in an effort to expand Kacyiru Hospital and diversify its medical services to patients.
- Ethiopia: Germany, France Offer Support to Transport, Distribute 50,000 Tons of Wheat Donated By Ukraine for Ethiopia, Somaliaby Addis Standard on 06/10/2022 at 12:33
[Addis Standard] Addis Abeba -- Germany and France offered their support to transport and distribute 50,000 tons of wheat donated by Ukraine for Ethiopia and Somalia, two of the countries in the Horn of Africa severely affected by the ongoing drought.
- Kenya: Salute Ma! - CDF Kibochi Hands London Silver Medalist Joyciline Promoby Capital FM on 06/10/2022 at 08:16
[Capital FM] Nairobi -- Just less than three days after winning silver at the 2022 London Marathon, Joyciline Jepkosgei has landed a mega promotion from her employer, the Kenya Defense Forces.
- Africa: Black Sea Exports Ramp Up, Bringing Confidence to Global Commerce and Food to Most Vulnerableby UN News on 06/10/2022 at 07:23
[UN News] Two months since the Black Sea Grain Initiative kicked into action to help release desperately needed grain and fertilizer from ports in Ukraine and Russia, confidence is returning among global distributors as exports ramp up, UN humanitarians said on Thursday..
- Kenya: French Chamber of Commerce Commits to Support Kenyan Businessesby Capital FM on 06/10/2022 at 06:30
[Capital FM] Nairobi -- The Kenya National Chamber of Commerce and Industry (KNCCI) has partnered with the French Chamber of Commerce and Industry (FCCI) to support businesses in Kenya.
- Somalia: Finnish's FCA Team Meets With Interior Ministerby Shabelle on 05/10/2022 at 07:46
[Shabelle] Internal Affairs Minister, Ahmed Maallim Fiqi, received at his office in Mogadishu a delegation from Finnish's FCA led by Tomi Järvinen and Ikali Karvinen.
- Burkina Faso: Is Recent Coup a Boon for Russia?by DW on 05/10/2022 at 05:37
[DW] A close ally of Russia's President Vladimir Putin with his own private militia was quick to praise Friday's power grab by Captain Ibrahim Traore. The new junta accused France of seeking to stage a coup within a coup.
- South Africa: Sisulu Condemns Murder of German Touristby SAnews.gov.za on 04/10/2022 at 14:48
[SAnews.gov.za] Tourism Minister Lindiwe Sisulu has expressed sadness at the brutal murder of a German tourist in Mpumalanga on Monday.
- Liberia: Sweden, NAYMOTE Sign U.S.$1.1 Million Grant Agreement to Promote Principles of Good Governance, Rule of Lawby FrontPageAfrica on 04/10/2022 at 07:55
[FrontPageAfrica] Monrovia -- The Swedish International Development Corporation Agency, (SIDA) through the Embassy of Sweden in Monrovia and Naymote Partners for Democratic Development have signed a three-grant agreement valued at US$1,150,000.
- Ghana: 100 Medical Students From Ukraine Integrated Into Ghanaian Medical Schoolsby Ghanaian Times on 04/10/2022 at 07:51
[Ghanaian Times] About 100 out of the initial 187 students who expressed their desire to continue their education in Ghana have successfully been placed in at least one of the country's seven medical schools.
- Kenya: Malkia Star Hitter Sharon Chepchumba Joins Paid Ranks in Greeceby Capital FM on 04/10/2022 at 05:16
[Capital FM] Nairobi -- Malkia Strikers star opposite hitter Sharon Chepchumba has joined the paid ranks of women's volleyball and has signed for Greece club Aris Thessaloniki.
- Ethiopia: EU Alarmed Over 'Totally Blocked' Humanitarian Access in Tigrayby Addis Standard on 03/10/2022 at 05:48
[Addis Standard] Addis Abeba -- The European Union (EU) said it was "alarmed at the deterioration of the humanitarian operating environment" in Tigray, Amhara and Afar regional states since the resumption of militarized hostilities in 24August. The EU also said the fighting has reportedly left "tens of thousands" of people newly displaced and caused widespread damage to civilian property and infrastructure.
- Kenya: World Record Holder Eliud Kipchoge All Set for the London Marathonby Capital FM on 02/10/2022 at 23:19
[Capital FM] Nairobi -- Just less than a week after breaking his own World Record at the Berlin Marathon, Eliud Kipchoge will be present at this weekend's London Marathon, but for different reasons other than competing.
- Kenya: Winning Maiden London Marathon Is Refreshing - I Will Be a Regular - Amos Kiprutoby Capital FM on 02/10/2022 at 21:59
[Capital FM] London -- Amos Kipruto concedes that he surprised himself, but saw it coming when he won his maiden London Marathon title at the 2022 edition.
- Kenya: Pace Was Inconsistent, I Couldn't Cope - Jepkosgei on London Marathonby Capital FM on 02/10/2022 at 21:59
[Capital FM] London -- Despite relinquishing her women's London marathon crown to Ethiopian Yalemzerf Yehualaw, Kenyan Joyciline Jepkosgei has confessed that she loves running in the English capital.
- Africa: Formidable Dollar - Is It Time for Another Plaza Accord?by The Exchange on 02/10/2022 at 14:23
[The Exchange] It is 1985, the US dollar is unbeatable, it is the reigning champion of the World's heavy weight currencies. The beefed up greenback is knocking out all challengers, it has to be stopped, reasoned economists from the other major World economies.
- Burkina Faso: Anti-French Anger Grips Burkina Faso in Wake of Second Military Coupby RFI on 02/10/2022 at 10:14
[RFI] Burkina Faso has been hit by confusion and uncertainty after suffering its second military coup in a year - with gunshots fired in the capital Ouagadougou on Saturday and protesters starting a fire outside the French embassy.
- Sudan: U.S. Ambassador Godfrey's Remarks On Sudan Prompt Sharp Russian Retortby Dabanga on 30/09/2022 at 06:45
[Dabanga] Khartoum -- The first US Ambassador to Khartoum in 25 years, John Godfrey, denies that junta leader Gen Abdelfattah El Burhan's participation in the 77th session of United Nations General Assembly, signifies a new page in relations with the West and the USA, as Lt Gen El Taher Abu Haja, Media advisor to El Burhan and the Sudan Armed Forces, claimed during El Burhan's visit to New York last weekend. However, remarks by Godfrey in an interview regarding Sudan's relations with Russia have met with sharp criticism from th
- South Africa: Ukrainians in South Africa Slam ANC Youth League for Endorsing Russian Referendumsby VOA on 30/09/2022 at 06:26
[VOA] Cape Town -- The youth league of South Africa's ruling ANC party has endorsed Russia's referendums in occupied parts of Ukraine, which are designed to pave the way for Moscow to annex the territories.
- East Africa: European Union's Blatant Hypocrisy On Fossils Fuels in Banning EACOP but Funding the Baltic Pipe Projectby The Exchange on 30/09/2022 at 05:11
[The Exchange] The EU bile against the EACOP speaks volumes on the EU parliament's imperialism and neo-colonial attitudes by turning a blind eye to the Union's emissions, choosing to hypocritically shine a light on East Africa's emerging economies, Uganda and Tanzania.
- Morocco: European Parliament VP Calls for Deeper Partnership With Moroccoby MAP on 30/09/2022 at 04:14
[MAP] Brussels -- The Vice-President of the European Parliament, Pina Picierno, pleaded, Wednesday in Brussels, for a deeper multiform partnership between Morocco and the European Union.
- Gambia: Govt Authorities Bemoan EU Sanctionsby The Point on 29/09/2022 at 13:44
[The Point] Top Gambian officials are bitterly bemoaning "sanctions" by the European Union (EU) over "misapprehension and misunderstanding" regarding contentious but also controversial issues between the two partners.
- Africa: Why African Democrats Must Support Ukraineby African Arguments on 29/09/2022 at 05:39
[African Arguments] A victory for Ukraine would be a victory for Africa, argue the Ugandan and Tanzanian opposition figures.
- Ghana: MDC Bars 2022 Year Students From Ukraineby Ghanaian Times on 27/09/2022 at 13:34
[Ghanaian Times] Students with Medical and Dental Degree Certificates issued by Medical and Dental Schools from Ukraine in 2022 will not be recognised forthwith by the Medical and Dental Council, (MDC) Ghana until normal academic activities resume.
- Africa: CAF President Attends ECA General Assembly in Istanbulby CAF on 27/09/2022 at 08:00
[CAF] CAF President Dr Patrice Motsepe attended the European Club Association ("ECA") General Assembly in Istanbul, Turkey on Friday 23 September 2022 and was accompanied by the CAF General Secretary Mr. Véron Mosengo-Omba.
- Tanzania: Tanzania Team to Camp in England Ahead of FIFA U-17 Women's World Cupby CAF on 27/09/2022 at 07:57
[CAF] Tanzania's Serengeti Girls will camp in Southampton, England ahead of the FIFA U-17 Women's World Cup.
- Zimbabwe: Mnangagwa Claims He Refused to Sign Queen's Book of Condolencesby New Zimbabwe on 26/09/2022 at 10:49
[New Zimbabwe] President Emmerson Mnangagwa has claimed that he refused to go to the British embassy in Harare to sign the book of condolences following the death of Queen Elizabeth 11 earlier this month.