Africa and Europe in the news, aggregated from diverse sources by allAfrica.com.
AllAfrica News: Europe and Africa All Africa, All the Time.
- Africa: Global Summit Raises Record U.S.$4 Billion for Education Kittyby East African on 02/08/2021 at 13:02
[East African] The Global Education Summit, co-hosted by UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson and Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta in London, has raised a record $4 billion from donors for the Global Partnership for Education (GPE).
- Uganda: Russian Firm On the Spot Over Vehicle Tracking Dealby Monitor on 02/08/2021 at 12:55
[Monitor] Since signing of the memorandum of understanding (MoU) between government and Joint Stock Company Global Security on July 23 to implement the smart tracking project for a period of 10 years, the deal continues to elicit suspicion and flak.
- Morocco: The 'Exceptional' France-Morocco Relationship Called Upon to Renew Itself Further in the Face of New Challenges (Ambassador)by MAP on 02/08/2021 at 09:08
[MAP] Paris -- The "exceptional" relationship between Morocco and France is called upon to renew itself further to face new challenges, said Morocco's ambassador to Paris, Chakib Benmoussa.
- Kenya: UN Council Asks Britain to Pay for Atrocities Against the Talaiby Nation on 02/08/2021 at 08:56
[Nation] The United Nations (UN) has ordered the United Kingdom government to make a public apology and adequately compensate the Kispigis and Talai victims who suffered horrendous violations in their hands.
- Kenya: UK-Based Kenyan Takes Muratina Brew to the Worldby Nation on 02/08/2021 at 08:56
[Nation] The mention of Muratina, a traditional alcoholic brew from the Agikuyu community, conjures up the image of old people sipping a brown liquid from cow horns in celebration of birth, initiation or at weddings.
- East Africa: Macron Calls for Talks On Tigray As Conflict Spills to Other Regionsby Nation on 02/08/2021 at 08:32
[Nation] French President Emmanuel Macron has called for dialogue between the Ethiopian government and a rebel group, Tigray Peoples Liberation Front (TPLF), in order to get a lasting solution to the conflict in the Tigray region, the Elysee Palace said in a statement.
- Tunisia: Tunisia Takes Delivery of Italian Donation of 1.5 Million Doses of Covid-19 Vaccinesby Tunis Afrique Presse on 02/08/2021 at 08:14
[Tunis Afrique Presse] Tunis/Tunisia -- Tunisia took delivery Sunday of 1.500 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines provided by Italy.
- Malawi: UK Partners With Malawi to Boost Girl Educationby Nyasa Times on 02/08/2021 at 06:44
[Nyasa Times] The United Kingdom is committed to partnering with Malawi to boost girl's education as one way of addressing challenges young females face in society, Her Excellency the First Lady Madame Monica Chakwera has been told.
- Burkina Faso: French Court Upholds Extradition Order for François Compaoreby RFI on 02/08/2021 at 05:51
[RFI] In the last step of a long legal process, France has cleared the way for the extradition of Francois Compaore. The brother of Burkina Faso's former president is wanted in connection with the murder of a prominent journalist. Fearing he would not get a fair trial, his legal team have taken the case to the European Court of Human Rights.
- Kenya: Questions as Govt 'Lends' Fossils to French Museumby Nation on 02/08/2021 at 05:23
[Nation] Experts have questioned Kenya's decision to "lend" delicate fossils and ancient tools dating back millions of years to a small museum in Southern France for an exhibition.
- Egypt: Luxor Airport Receives 114 Tourists From Spainby Egypt Online on 01/08/2021 at 08:31
[Egypt Online] Luxor International Airport received on Saturday 31/7/2021 the first charter flight from Spain after the resumption of tourist flights to Egypt.
- Tunisia: Covid-19 - Tunisia Takes Delivery of Medical Supplies Donated By Friendly Countries and Tunisians Living in Franceby Tunis Afrique Presse on 30/07/2021 at 09:55
[Tunis Afrique Presse] Tunis/Tunisia -- A Tunisian military plane carrying medical supplies from Austria, Malta and Luxembourg on Thursday landed at the Tunis-Carthage airport, according to a Presidency of the Republic press release.
- Kenya: Unemployed Kenyan Nurses Free to Work in UK Under a New Pactby Capital FM on 30/07/2021 at 08:35
[Capital FM] London -- Unemployed Kenyan nurses and health workers will have a chance to work in the UK under a new scheme launched by President Uhuru Kenyatta on Thursday on the third day of his visit to London.
- Kenya: Deepening of Kenya-UK Ties Top Agenda as President Kenyatta and PM Johnson Meet at Chequersby Capital FM on 30/07/2021 at 08:34
[Capital FM] Buckinghamshire -- President Uhuru Kenyatta on Wednesday met British Prime Minister Boris Johnson for bilateral talks on the second day of the Kenyan leader's official visit to the United Kingdom.
- Sierra Leone: President JBio Addresses Global Education Summit in the UK, Assures of Girls' Access to Quality Educationby Sierra Leone Government on 30/07/2021 at 08:16
[Sierra Leone Government] His Excellency President Dr Julius Maada Bio today addressed the Global Education Summit, the biggest of such events to encourage donors to raise $5 billion in the next 5 years, along with commitments from partner countries on domestic financing for education.
- Malawi: President Chakwera Engages British PM Boris Johnson on Climate Changeby Nyasa Times on 30/07/2021 at 07:09
[Nyasa Times] Malawi President Lazarus Chakwera, currently on tour of duty in the United Kingdom for a Global Education Forum on Thursday engaged Tory leader and British Prime Minister Boris Johnson on global climate change and the need for the UK government to support Malawi.
- Kenya: UK Deal on Nurses Vitalby Nation on 30/07/2021 at 05:28
[Nation] One of the goodies from President Uhuru Kenyatta's current visit to the United Kingdom is a new pact allowing Kenyan nurses and other health professionals to work in that country. The new scheme is a godsend for more than 30,000 jobless health workers.
- Kenya: Health Workers to Reap From Kenya-UK Pactsby Nation on 30/07/2021 at 05:28
[Nation] Kenyan healthcare workers will be allowed to work in the United Kingdom, after the two countries signed two key agreements in the health sector.
- Angola: Istanbul-Luanda Route Opens Next Octoberby ANGOP on 29/07/2021 at 15:22
[ANGOP] Luanda -- Turkish Airlines' operations on the Istanbul-Luanda route will officially open in October this year, Transport Minister Ricardo de Abreu announced in Ankara on Wednesday.
- Kenya: Kenyan Health Workers to Get UK Jobs in New Pactby Nation on 29/07/2021 at 13:57
[Nation] Jobless Kenyan nurses and other health workers will get a chance to work in the UK as part of a new scheme requested by Kenya, and set to be launched Thursday, Nation has learnt.
- Swaziland: Royal Crackdown - European Union Condemns Arrest of Two Eswatini MPs As Government Hunts for the Thirdby Daily Maverick on 29/07/2021 at 13:10
[Daily Maverick] The European Union says it is 'deeply concerned' by the arrest on Sunday of two members of parliament in Eswatini, who are due to appear in court on Thursday to seek bail. The two 'represent the voice of the people who elected them to Parliament', according to an EU official.
- Tanzania: President Launches German-Funded Military Hospitalby Daily News on 29/07/2021 at 10:19
[Daily News] PRESIDENT Samia Suluhu Hassan yesterday launched a state-of-the-art Infectious Disease Centre (IDC) at Lugalo Military Hospital in Dar es Salaam.
- Nigeria: UK Launches Scheme to Drive Trade With Nigeria, Boost Jobsby This Day on 29/07/2021 at 09:12
[This Day] The UK Government has launched a consultation on new trading rules that will help countries like Nigeria grow their trade and build back better businesses and help British businesses and consumers at the same time.
- Africa: Europe's Green Unilateralismby New Dawn on 29/07/2021 at 09:02
[New Dawn] The European Union is one of the few signatories to the 2015 Paris climate agreement that initially committed to binding limits on its carbon dioxide emissions, having promised to reduce them by 40% (and now 55%) from 1990 levels by 2030. On July 14, the European Commission presented a comprehensive package of measures aimed at achieving massive reductions in EU firms' and households' CO2 emissions in the short term in order to meet the 55% target by 2030 and make the bloc carbon neutral by 2050.
- Rwanda: Rutunga's Extradition is a Blow to Genocide Deniers - Survivorby New Times on 29/07/2021 at 06:36
[New Times] The arrest and extradition to Rwanda, of Genocide fugitive Venant Rutunga by Dutch judicial authorities, has been welcomed by Genocide survivors in the former Butare Prefecture, currently Huye District, where masterminded the Genocide against the Tutsi.
- Uganda: France Boosts Uganda's Covid-19 Fight With More Ppe, Testing Kitsby Independent (Kampala) on 29/07/2021 at 06:34
[Independent (Kampala)] Kampala, Uganda -- The French Government has donated to Uganda an assortment of personal protective equipment, testing kits and respirators to boost the country's fight against the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Kenya: Lakipia Residents Want British Army Training Exercises Stopped After Fireby Nation on 29/07/2021 at 05:48
[Nation] The Lolldaiga community in Laikipia County wants the British military stopped from conducting trainings at Lolldaiga Hills, terming continued exercises as contemptuous to the community living next to the 49,000-acre ranch.
- Rwanda: Defender Mutsinzi in Belgium for Pro Trialsby New Times on 29/07/2021 at 05:29
[New Times] ANGE Mutsinzi left the country for Belgium on Tuesday, July 27, for Belgium where he will undergo trials with top tier side Oud - Heverlee Leuven.
- Rwanda: Kagame Receives Credentials From Three New Envoysby New Times on 29/07/2021 at 05:22
[New Times] President Paul Kagame on Wednesday, July 28, received letters of credence from three new envoys who will represent their respective countries in Rwanda including Antoine Anfre, the new French Ambassador.
- Liberia: German Mineral Company Expands 'Mining' to Grand Cape Mount Diamond Districtby FrontPageAfrica on 28/07/2021 at 14:37
[FrontPageAfrica] Grand Cape Mount -- As part of efforts to strengthen operations and reach its goal in Liberia, a German Mineral Company, Thesaurum Gold Exploration Ltd, is expanding its activities to Grand Cape Mount to do diamond mining.