Africa and Europe in the news, aggregated from diverse sources by allAfrica.com.
AllAfrica News: Europe and Africa All Africa, All the Time.
- Zimbabwe: EU Calls for Zimbabwe to Implement Electoral Reforms Ahead of 2023 Pollsby VOA on 20/05/2022 at 14:23
[VOA] Elmar Brok, the head of the EU electoral mission, told reporters Friday that as Zimbabwe prepares for next year's elections, it must amend its electoral laws so that all parties have a fair chance of winning at the polls.
- Rwanda: Commonwealth Senior Officials in London for Final CHOGM Kigali Prepsby New Times on 20/05/2022 at 08:53
[New Times] For the past three days, senior officials from all the 54 Commonwealth member states have been meeting in London to finalise a policy document for the upcoming Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM) 2022 slated for Kigali in June.
- Rwanda: Rwanda Unveils Facilities That Will Host UK Migrantsby New Times on 20/05/2022 at 08:53
[New Times] The government of Rwanda has unveiled three facilities among five which are expected to host migrants and asylum seekers set to be sent from United Kingdom.
- Liberia: European Union Allocates Support to Stop the Ongoing Measles Outbreakby New Dawn on 20/05/2022 at 08:14
[New Dawn] As a contribution to the efforts deployed to stop the ongoing measles outbreak affecting 14 of the 15 counties in Liberia, the EU contributes around 24 million Liberian Dollars to provide public health and community-based support in the eight most affected counties.
- Liberia: Ireland and Liberia to Establish Military-to - Military Relationsby New Dawn on 20/05/2022 at 07:57
[New Dawn] Ireland Ambassador accredited to Liberia, but with residence in the Republic of Sierra Leone, Amb. Clarie Buckley has assured the Minister of National Defense Maj/Gen. Daniel D. Ziankahn (Rtd) of her country's willingness to establish strong military ties with the Armed Forces of Liberia, especially in the area of peacekeeping.
- Liberia: EU Joins Liberia's Measles Frayby New Republic on 20/05/2022 at 07:48
[New Republic] As a contribution to the efforts deployed to stop the ongoing measles outbreak affecting 14 of the 15 counties in Liberia, the EU contributes around 24 million Liberian Dollars to provide public health and community-based support in the eight most affected counties.
- Kenya: President Kenyatta Set to Open New Chancery in Switzerland to Enhance Trade Tiesby Capital FM on 20/05/2022 at 05:36
[Capital FM] Bern -- President Uhuru Kenyatta is set to open a new chancery in the Swiss Capital of Bern to enhance trade tries between Kenya and Switzerland.
- Ghana: President Akufo-Addo Expresses Concern Over Russia-Ukraine War Impact On Food Securityby Ghanaian Times on 19/05/2022 at 12:22
[Ghanaian Times] President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo has expressed concerns over the impact the crises in Ukraine is having on food security in the country and on the continent.
- Liberia: European Union Allocates Support to Stop the Ongoing Measles Outbreakby FrontPageAfrica on 19/05/2022 at 10:54
[FrontPageAfrica] Monrovia -- As a contribution to the efforts deployed to stop the ongoing measles outbreak affecting 14 of the 15 counties in Liberia, the EU contributes around 24 million Liberian Dollars to provide public health and community-based support in the eight most affected counties.
- South Africa: Putin Reminds Me More and More of PW Botha - Hopefully, He'll Suffer a Similar Fateby Daily Maverick on 19/05/2022 at 10:20
[Daily Maverick] Nick Dall has an MA in Creative Writing from UCT. As a journalist covering everything from cricket to chameleons, his favourite stories are always those about people -- dead or alive, virtuous or villainous. He is the co-author with Matthew Blackman of 'Rogues Gallery: An Irreverent History of Corruption in South Africa' (Penguin Random House).
- Liberia: True and False 'Liberations' - Fighting the Ghosts of Neo-Colonialism - Jan Lipavský, Foreign Minister of Czechia: Writesby New Republic on 19/05/2022 at 08:05
[New Republic] This year, the celebrations of the victory in the World War II are being overshadowed by blood and suffering on the territory of Ukraine and destruction of Ukrainian cities. Ghosts of new aggressive, neo-colonial war of the empire, hungry for more territory, cast their dark shadows on these days, which are usually connected to the celebration of peace.
- Kenya: "I Will Smash Him and We Will Have a Chat Later" - Omanyala Beams in Confidence Ahead of Blake Showdown in Ostravaby Capital FM on 19/05/2022 at 05:46
[Capital FM] Nairobi -- African 100m record holder Ferdinand Omanyala is beaming with confidence ahead of a showdown with his sprint idol Yohan Blake at the 61st Golden Spike Continental Gold Tour meeting in Ostrava, Czech Republic.
- Kenya: Climate Lobby Group to Petition House of Commons Over Enforcement of Laikipia Fire Court Orderby Capital FM on 19/05/2022 at 05:46
[Capital FM] Nairobi -- An environment lobby group will now be travelling to London, United Kingdom next month to present a protest petition to the House of Commons over the enforcement of the Laikipia Fire Court order.
- Africa: The Russia - Ukraine Conflict and Its Impact On the Infrastructure and Built Environment Industry in Africaby New Dawn on 18/05/2022 at 13:17
[New Dawn] NAIROBI, Kenya, 17 May, 2022 -/African Media Agency(AMA)/-Introduction Russia launched a full assault on Ukraine, its southwest neighbour, on February 24, 2022, marking a significant escalation in the ongoing Russian-Ukrainian conflict. Both countries are major producers of crucial energy and industrial commodities such as oil, gas, aluminium, palladium, and nickel. They also produce food-related commodities such as wheat and corn; the war will have a consequent ripple effect on the global markets and supp
- Gambia: Ebou Adams Moves to Cardiff Cityby The Point on 18/05/2022 at 07:57
[The Point] Scorpion's midfielder Ebdou Adams has moved to Cardiff City after leaving Forest Green Rovers.
- South Africa: Ukraine - South Africa Is Not Neutral, We Are Non-Alignedby Daily Maverick on 17/05/2022 at 14:47
[Daily Maverick] Alvin Botes is South Africa's Deputy Minister of International Relations and Cooperation.
- Ghana: GTF Boss Appointed to Work On C'wealth Taekwondo Management Boardby Ghanaian Times on 17/05/2022 at 12:41
[Ghanaian Times] The Ghana Taekwondo Federation (GTF) President, Mr Frederick Lartey Otu has been appointed to serve on a new board commissioned by World Taekwondo.
- Zimbabwe: Govt Pleas for EU Support in Once-Off Ivory Sale Fall On Deaf Earsby New Zimbabwe on 17/05/2022 at 08:57
[New Zimbabwe] GOVERNMENT's passionate plea for the European Union's (EU) corporations in its lobby for the removal of trade ban in wildlife products has fallen on deaf ears after the EU maintained it will only cooperate with existing international laws.
- Zimbabwe: Zim Appeals to EU Over Ivory Stockpilesby The Herald on 17/05/2022 at 08:05
[The Herald] ZIMBABWE is appealing to the European Union to assist in having the unilateral ban on ivory and rhino horn trade imposed by the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) lifted.
- Rwanda: Slovakian Businesses Eye Rwandan Marketby New Times on 17/05/2022 at 05:31
[New Times] A total of 18 Slovakian business executives are on a trade mission in Rwanda to explore different investment opportunities and partnerships in the country.
- Liberia: ForumCIV Signs MOU With Cepres International University and Cuttington University to Implement Its 'Our Land' Programby FrontPageAfrica on 16/05/2022 at 11:36
[FrontPageAfrica] Gbarnga -- ForumCIV, a politically and religiously unaffiliated Swedish member-based civil society organization working on a global scale with development cooperation, has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with Cuttington University and Cepres International University - two Bong-based institutions.
- Rwanda: Genocide Fugitive Major Karangwa Arrested in the Netherlandsby New Times on 16/05/2022 at 08:12
[New Times] Reports from the Netherlands indicate that Maj. Pierre-Claver Karangwa, an officer in the genocidal regime's military, alleged to be one of the key masterminds in the massacre of thousands during the 1994 Genocide against the Tutsi, is under arrest.
- Africa: Chelsea vs Liverpool: FA Cup final prediction and result - Saturday 14 May 2022by ExtraTime on 16/05/2022 at 06:48
[ExtraTime] It's a tantalizing battle between Chelsea and Liverpool, as two of the FA Cup's most successful clubs collide at Wembley Stadium on Saturday for the trophy in the showpiece final.
- East Africa: UK Plans to Send Asylum Seekers to Africa Raise Red Flagsby The Conversation Africa on 14/05/2022 at 16:27
[The Conversation Africa] Like many others, I was surprised and upset to hear about the UK's new deal to offload its responsibility to tens of thousands of asylum seekers to Rwanda. The plan is for Rwanda to process and host such refugees indefinitely.
- Africa: Ukraine War Creates New Crises in Global Southby IPS on 14/05/2022 at 14:15
[IPS] Berlin -- While the Russian war of aggression against Ukraine is shaking up the European security order, other parts of the world are being particularly affected by the war's 'side effects'.
- Africa: Africa Roundtable Unites With European Alliesby DW on 14/05/2022 at 14:03
[DW] Decision makers from politics, business and civil society have gathered in Berlin to discuss new ways for Europe and Africa to cooperate on issues from the COVID pandemic to the war in Ukraine.
- South Africa: From a Township Hospital in South Africa to the Ukraine Border, an Expat Doctor Has Seen the Trauma of Poverty and Now Warby Daily Maverick on 13/05/2022 at 13:50
[Daily Maverick] Russian forces may have been pushed from the outskirts of Kyiv, but they are pressing harder along the front in the east and south of the country. A Cape Town doctor has seen a corresponding uptick in the number of refugees and patients at the makeshift medical station where she volunteers.
- Liberia: Govt, Turkey Sign Agreement to Strengthen Tiesby FrontPageAfrica on 13/05/2022 at 11:17
[FrontPageAfrica] Monrovia -- The Liberian government has signed a Memorandum of Understanding with its Turkish counterpart aimed at strengthening bilateral ties between the two countries. The signing ceremony took place last week in Ankara, the capital of the Asian nation, with Liberia represented by a high-profile delegation headed by Foreign Minister Dee Maxwell Kemayah.
- Eritrea: Meeting of PFDJ Organizations in Germanyby Shabait on 13/05/2022 at 08:22
[Shabait] PFDJ organizations in Germany organized a discussion forum on 7 and 8 May in the city of Manheim focusing on national affairs.
- Mali: French Foreign Minister Ordered to Appear in Bamako Courtby allAfrica on 12/05/2022 at 12:49
[allAfrica] The French minister of foreign affairs Jean-Yves Le Drian is expected at a courthouse in Bamako on June 20 over charges of awarding a public contract for the production of Malian passports. The case that dates back to 2015.