AllAfrica News Headlines aggregated and updated from different new sources across the web.
AllAfrica News: Latest All Africa, All the Time.
- Africa: African Countries Are Stuck On the Free Movement of People. How to Break the Logjamby The Conversation Africa on 16/01/2022 at 11:09
[The Conversation Africa] Most African countries signed onto the Free Movement of Persons protocol in Addis Ababa in January 2018. Its rationale was set out clearly: the free movement of people - as well as capital goods and services - would promote integration and herald in a host of other benefits. These included improving science, technology, education, research and fostering tourism.
- Congo-Kinshasa: Lakes in the Democratic Republic of Congo Are Contested Spaces. Here's Whyby The Conversation Africa on 16/01/2022 at 11:06
[The Conversation Africa] The lakes of the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) play a big part in people's lives - socially, politically and economically. But lake fishing communities find themselves at the intersection of geography, war and authority, as rebel groups and conservation managers also claim spaces and resources.
- Ghana: Mental Health Patients in Ghana Share Their Stories About Stigma and Sufferingby The Conversation Africa on 16/01/2022 at 10:59
[The Conversation Africa] Despite global advances in disability rights, stigma towards individuals diagnosed with mental illness is common across the African continent. In Ghana, research has shown that one of the main roots of stigmatisation is the belief that mental illnesses are caused by supernatural forces, including spiritual punishment for parents' misdeeds. As a result, Ghanaians with mental illness are often mistreated (sometimes violently), mocked by family members and even denied access to their children.
- Mali: Mali Gives Airlines 72 Hours to Confirm Serviceby VOA on 16/01/2022 at 10:55
[VOA] Bamako, Mali -- After several airlines discontinued service to Mali due to new regional sanctions, the country's government has responded with its own economic threat.
- Ethiopia: Ethiopia On Edge of Humanitarian Disaster, UN Agency Saysby VOA on 16/01/2022 at 10:20
[VOA] Geneva -- The World Food Program warns Ethiopia is on the edge of a humanitarian disaster as escalating fighting in the north is preventing the delivery of needed food from reaching millions of people in battle-scarred Tigray province.
- Kenya: Kalonzo Walks Tight Rope in Ukambani Politicsby Capital FM on 16/01/2022 at 10:18
[Capital FM] Nairobi -- Wiper Democratic Movement party leader Kalonzo Musyoka is a worried man.
- Nigeria: Illegal Refinery - NSCDC Disbands Rivers Anti-Vandal Unit, Probes Operationsby This Day on 16/01/2022 at 09:50
[This Day] The Commandant General of Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), Dr. Ahmed Audi has disbanded the anti-vandal unit of Rivers State Command following allegation that the unit was aiding and abetting of vandals and illegal bunkers to carry out their nefarious activities.
- Nigeria: New Edo Refinery, Energy Park for Inauguration in Marchby This Day on 16/01/2022 at 09:49
[This Day] Duport Midstream Company Limited (DMCL) and First City Monument Bank (FCMB) Limited have revealed that the ongoing construction of Energy Park located in Egbokor, Orhionmwon Local Government Area (LGA), Edo State would be ready for inauguration by the end of March.
- Kenya: Kenya's Diaspora Remittances Hit Record High of Sh39.7bn in Decemberby Capital FM on 16/01/2022 at 09:48
[Capital FM] Nairobi Kenya -- Diaspora remittances to Kenya hit an all-time high of USD 350.6 million(Sh39.7billion) in December, as Kenyans abroad sent home money for the festivities, the Central Bank of Kenya has revealed.
- Ethiopia: Gondar Readies to Welcome Epiphany Guestsby Ethiopian Herald on 16/01/2022 at 09:47
[Ethiopian Herald] ADDIS ABABA - All the preparation has been finalized to colorfully mark the Ethiopian Epiphany (Timket) in Gondar city of the Amhara State with the great attendance of the Diaspora community, the Ministry of Tourism disclosed.
- Ethiopia: Young Entrepreneurs' Effort Is Promising to Tackle the Employment Challengeby Ethiopian Herald on 16/01/2022 at 09:47
[Ethiopian Herald] Scholars agree that young entrepreneurs can be part of the solution to the national employment challenge if they get strong support and encouragement from the government and the general public. They also recommend that there are countless ways to set up young entrepreneurs for success.
- Tanzania: VP Orders Waste Firm's Contract Terminationby Daily News on 16/01/2022 at 09:43
[Daily News] VICE- PRESIDENT Dr Philip Mpango has expressed dissatisfaction with the cleaning services offered by Green Waste Company in Dodoma City, ordering for termination of the company's contract due to its failure to carry out its duties effectively.
- Tanzania: Kalambo DC Wants Form One Pupils to Report to School On Mondayby Daily News on 16/01/2022 at 09:43
[Daily News] KALAMBO District Commissioner (DC) in Rukwa region, Ms Tano Mwela has ordered all pupils who have been selected to join Form One this year to report to their respective secondary schools on Monday as schools reopen.
- Tanzania: Govt Studies Tourism Contribution in GDPby Daily News on 16/01/2022 at 09:43
[Daily News] THE Ministry of Natural Resources and Tourism is conducting a study to establish the level of contribution of tourism sector into the country's Gross Domestic Product (GDP).
- Tanzania: Miners Urged to Get Covid Vaccinationby Daily News on 16/01/2022 at 09:43
[Daily News] THE National Institute for Medical Research (NIMR) has urged mine workers in the country to get vaccinated against Covid-19 because their work requires healthy people.
- Nigeria: Five Factors Will Determine #nigeriadecides2023by Premium Times on 16/01/2022 at 09:40
[Premium Times] Nigeria's 2023 election could be a tragic farce with deadly consequences for the country and beyond.
- Nigeria: Don't Sell Central Hospital, Library Complexes, Agbomhere Tells Obasekiby This Day on 16/01/2022 at 09:37
[This Day] A former governorship aspirant of the All Progressives Congress, Chief Blessing Agbomhere, has asked Governor Godwin Obaseki to halt sale of Benin Central hospital and Edo State Library complexes.
- Africa: Shame of Rich Countries Sending Expired Vaccines to Africaby Capital FM on 16/01/2022 at 09:31
[Capital FM] There is growing apprehension in many African countries regarding Covid-19 vaccines donated by rich countries. Millions of doses shipped to the continent have short shelf-life leading to expiry before deployment; a fact that is now compounding Africa's inoculations bid against the global health crisis.
- Egypt: Faculty of Dentistry Hospital At Assiut Universityby Egypt Online on 16/01/2022 at 09:29
[Egypt Online] President Abdel-Fattah El-Sisi on 22/12/2021 inaugurated over video conference the Faculty of Dentistry Hospital at Assiut University. It is the largest specialized hospital in the Egyptian universities.
- Egypt: Liver and Gastroenterology Hospital of Minya Universityby Egypt Online on 16/01/2022 at 09:29
[Egypt Online] President Abdel-Fattah El-Sisi on 22/12/2021 inaugurated over video conference the Liver and Gastroenterology Hospital of Minya University.
- Zimbabwe: ZCTU Takes Teachers' Persecution to TNFby New Zimbabwe on 16/01/2022 at 09:25
[New Zimbabwe] THE Zimbabwe Congress of Trade Unions (ZCTU) has vowed to escalate the quashing of the teachers' demonstration to the Tripartite Negotiation Forum (TNF).
- Zimbabwe: Kirsty Coventry Under Fire Over All-White Hockey Teamby New Zimbabwe on 16/01/2022 at 09:25
[New Zimbabwe] YOUTH, Sports, Arts and Recreation minister Kirsty Coventry has come under fire from stakeholders following the selection of all white senior women's hockey team to represent Zimbabwe in the Africa Cup of Nations in Accra, Ghana.
- Zimbabwe: Police Crackdown Leaves Commuters Strandedby New Zimbabwe on 16/01/2022 at 09:24
[New Zimbabwe] SCORES of commuters in Bulawayo were left stranded following an intensive crackdown all vehicles with no registration plates or Temporary Identification Cards (TICs) conducted by the police, Vehicle Inspection Department (VID) and Zimbabwe Revenue Authority (ZIMRA) officials.
- Zimbabwe: RBZ Bad Money Mop Up Pushes Stocks to Zw$26,2 Billionby New Zimbabwe on 16/01/2022 at 09:23
[New Zimbabwe] RESERVE Bank of Zimbabwe (RBZ) efforts to mop up excess cash also known as "bad money" has pushed broad money supply stocks to ZW$26,2 billion in line with the set quarterly framework.
- Zimbabwe: Mnangagwa Warns Brawling Lieutenantsby New Zimbabwe on 16/01/2022 at 09:23
[New Zimbabwe] PRESIDENT Emmerson Mnangagwa has warned his senior Zanu PF lieutenants against indiscipline ahead of upcoming legislative and municipal by-elections.
- Zimbabwe: International Trade Union Confederation Petitions Mnangagwa Over Arrested Teachersby New Zimbabwe on 16/01/2022 at 09:22
[New Zimbabwe] THE International Trade Union Confederation (ITUC) has urged President Emmerson Mnangagwa to urgently release the teachers who were arrested during a flash demonstration last week amid urgent calls to respect citizens' rights.
- Zimbabwe: Mapeza Shifts Blame On Playersby New Zimbabwe on 16/01/2022 at 09:20
[New Zimbabwe] WARRIORS coach Norman Mapeza has shifted the blame on his players after the senior national team became the first side to crash out of the Africa Cup of Nations (Afcon) on Friday night.
- Zimbabwe: Shortage of Doctors Caused By the West - Zanu-PFby New Zimbabwe on 16/01/2022 at 09:17
[New Zimbabwe] ZANU-PF spokesperson Christopher Mutsvangwa has blamed western countries for causing a brain drain in the health sector saying that they lure the Zimbabwe's medical practitioners with better salaries.
- Zimbabwe: Gukurahundi - Apology Alone Not Enough, Says Pressure Groupby New Zimbabwe on 16/01/2022 at 09:15
[New Zimbabwe] A BULAWAYO based pressure group advocating for Gukurahundi reparation says has welcomed Matabeleland South Chiefs' demands on government to apologise publicly over the Gukurahundi atrocities but said mere apology will not bring any closure to the mass killings.
- Kenya: Kenya National Commission on Human Rights Chairperson Nominee, 5 Others to Be Vetted On Feb 3by Capital FM on 16/01/2022 at 09:05
[Capital FM] Nairobi -- The National Assembly is set to vet the nominee for Kenya National Commission on Human Rights (KNCHR) chairperson post Roseline Odhiambo-Odede on February 3.