AllAfrica News Headlines aggregated and updated from different new sources across the web.
AllAfrica News: Latest All Africa, All the Time.
- Nigeria: 17 Soldiers Killed, Several Abducted in Battle With Boko Haram on 19/01/2020 at 22:56
[This Day] Maiduguri -Not less than 17 soldiers were killed in confrontations between the military and Boko Haram insurgents along Bama-Gwoza road weekend.
- South Africa: Uganda Airlines All Set to Fly to Johannesburg Soon on 19/01/2020 at 22:54
[Independent (Kampala)] Kampala -Uganda's national carrier, Uganda Airlines, has made it official that it will unveil direct flights to Johannesburg, South Africa, soon.
- Rwanda: Kagame to Attend UK-Africa Investment Summit on 19/01/2020 at 22:52
[New Times] President Paul Kagame is expected in London for the UK-Africa Investment Summit that starts on Monday, which will be hosted by British Prime Minister Boris Johnson.
- East Africa: Spotlight On Govts' Crackdown On Rights, Freedoms on 19/01/2020 at 22:48
[East African] From Lamu to Ngorongoro to Kaboong, East African governments are in the international spotlight for human rights violations, even as serious questions over resolve to deal with past injustices come to the fore.
- Sudan: Prime Minister Calls for Unity As Khartoum Quells Military Revolt on 19/01/2020 at 22:43
[East African] Sudanese Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok says he is confident in the country's military even after a rebellion this past week at the General Intelligence Service (GIS) headquarters by soldiers associated with former leader Omar al-Bashir.
- East Africa: Uganda-Kenya Milk War Boils Over With No End in Sight of Regional Trade Tiffs on 19/01/2020 at 22:06
[East African] The escalating trade dispute between Kenya and Uganda over milk exports, is just one of many facing all EAC partner states and underlines critical gaps in the regional integration project that could potentially harm the economies.
- Tanzania: Attacks On Children On Rise - Police Boss on 19/01/2020 at 21:57
[Daily News] With cases of violence against children escalating in the country, authorities in Kagera Region are investigating incidents in which three children were killed in different incidents, including a two year old boy who accidentally relieved himself on his bed while sleeping and was later killed.
- Nigeria: Homeless Children Threat to National Security, Group Warns on 19/01/2020 at 21:44
[This Day] An Ibadan-based humanitarian and philanthropic organisarion, Adunbarin has raised the alarm over security implications of abandoned and home-less children, warning that they could be potential supply source of personnel for banditry, armed robberies and insurgency.
- Zimbabwe: Mnangagwa Is Archbishop of Machete-Wielding Gangs - Opposition on 19/01/2020 at 21:32
[New Zimbabwe] The MDC has fired at President Emmerson Mnangagwa, describing the Zanu PF leader as the archbishop of the notorious machete wielding gangs commonly referred to as Mashurugwi.
- Zimbabwe: Parirenyatwa's Staff Woes Persist Despite Junior Doctors' Return on 19/01/2020 at 21:30
[New Zimbabwe] Parirenyatwa Hospital, the largest referral medical centre in Zimbabwe, is still operating below its normal capacity despite the return of striking junior doctors to their workstations.
- Zimbabwe: Opposition Politician Gutu Denies Plans to Join Ruling Party on 19/01/2020 at 21:29
[New Zimbabwe] Obert Gutu, who resigned Saturday as Vice President of the MDC-T led by Thokozani Khupe, has dismissed as false, claims that he has ditched the MDC breakaway group to join Zanu PF.
- Zimbabwe: Live Streaming Court Trials Will Bring Transparency - Lawyers on 19/01/2020 at 21:27
[New Zimbabwe] The Law Society of Zimbabwe (LSZ) has welcomed the Judiciary's pledges to live-stream court proceedings in cases of public interest, saying this brings transparency and also allows ordinary citizens to understand how the law works.
- Zimbabwe: Police Allow Chamisa to Launch MDC's Agenda 2020 on 19/01/2020 at 21:04
[New Zimbabwe] Police Sunday afternoon allowed MDC President Nelson Chamisa to launch his much anticipated State of the Nation Agenda (SONA) 2020 mini-rally at Stodart Hall in Mbare, Harare Tuesday.
- Nigeria: Nigeria's Minister Appoints Daughter as Special Assistant on 19/01/2020 at 21:01
[Premium Times] The Minister of Women Affairs and Social Development, Pauline Tallen, has appointed one of her daughters, Violet Osunde, as a special assistant in her office. It is not clear if the minister's action violated any law, but critics including academics and lawyers said it suggests nepotism and could be a breach of her oath of office. Until her appointment in November, Mrs Osunde was a senior executive assistant with the National Databank Management Department of the National Pension Commission. Mrs Osun
- Sudan: Tawer Lauds Sudanese-German Relations on 19/01/2020 at 20:53
[SNA] Khartoum -Member of the Transitional Sovereign Council, Prof. Siddig Tawer, has lauded the historical relations between Sudan and Germany.
- East Africa: Wind May Blow Locusts Away From Kenya's Bread Basket - UN on 19/01/2020 at 20:48
[Nation] The armies of locusts which have been ravaging parts of Kenya for the last three weeks may not march through the breadbasket counties, after all, a forecast by the United Nations shows.
- Zimbabwe: 16 Killed in Bus, Haulage Truck Collision on 19/01/2020 at 20:46
[The Herald] The number of people who died near Shamu village yesterday in a road accident involving a General Bande bus and a haulage truck has risen to 16 after two more people died in hospital.
- Nigeria: Sanitary Pads Exempted From VAT Hike on 19/01/2020 at 20:41
[Vanguard] The Federal Government has listed the sanitary pads among the 20 basic food items exempted from the new Valued Added Tax (VAT) increase expected to take effect from February.
- Uganda: Can Uganda Ever Have Free, Fair Presidential Polls? on 19/01/2020 at 20:33
[Monitor] The 2021 general election, the eighth for the country, is at hand, but questions remain whether it will be any better than previous ones.
- Nigeria: Govt Disburses U.S.$394 Million to Fund Primary Education in 4 Years on 19/01/2020 at 16:29
[Vanguard] Between 2015 and 2018, the federal government disbursed the sum of N142.6 billion to states governments and the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja, for successful implementation of the Universal Basic Education Commission, UBEC.
- Zimbabwe: Solar-Powered Water Pumps for Kariba Villagers on 19/01/2020 at 16:23
[The Herald] Villagers in Nyaminyami area of Kariba district will be getting water for four irrigation schemes from solar-powered pumps.
- Kenya: Ruto Woos Kalonzo in Search of New Allies on 19/01/2020 at 16:14
[Nation] Deputy President William Ruto on Saturday stepped up his efforts to woo former Vice President Kalonzo Musyoka into his camp, as he seeks new alliances to stay in the game at a time when formations for the 2022 General Election are shaping up.
- Zimbabwe: Property Destroyed, Chickens Swept Away As Floods Hit Hwange on 19/01/2020 at 16:12
[New Zimbabwe] Hwange -Residents here were left counting their loses after their property was destroyed by a rain storm which also swept away their chickens and other domestic animals.
- Namibia: Hanse-Himarwa Ropes in Barry Roux on 19/01/2020 at 15:34
[New Era] Windhoek -Convicted former education minister Katrina Hanse-Himarwa has acquired the services of top South African defence advocate Barry Roux to lead her appeal process. Hanse-Himarwa has approached the Windhoek High Court to grant her leave to appeal in the Supreme Court her conviction on a corruption charge.
- Nigeria: Billionaire Deji Adeleke Lavishes U.S.$65 Million On New Private Jet on 19/01/2020 at 14:54
[This Day] It doesn't need pointing out that wealth affords its handlers a lot of perks, privileges, and bragging rights, and why not? They worked for it. But that has never deterred other folks from stretching necks over and across fenced houses, if only to see what's a-happening. Such is the case with the 'Baba' that Nigerian superstar and music big boy, Davido, always refers to, Dr. Deji Adeleke, and his new wheels on wings.
- Tanzania: Third Miner Declares Dispute With Govt on 19/01/2020 at 12:05
[Citizen] Dar es Salaam -Another Canada-based company Montero Mining and Exploration is in dispute with the government over a repossessed retention mining licence.
- Kenya: Terror Suspects Arrested While Carrying Out Surveillance of Popular Pub on 19/01/2020 at 11:50
[Capital FM] Nairobi -Five terror suspects have been arrested while carrying out surveillance of a popular club situation on Kiambu Road.
- Somalia: UAE Condemns Somalia Attack That Left Four Dead on 19/01/2020 at 11:44
[Shabelle] The UAE has strongly condemned the bomb attack in Somalia that claimed several lives and left many injured.
- Somalia: Puntland President Appoints New Bosaso Airport Manager on 19/01/2020 at 11:41
[Shabelle] The leader of the Puntland State of Somalia Saed Abdullahi Deni has appointed a new manager for Bosaso airport on Sunday.
- Nigeria: Imo Police Warns Pro-Ihedioha Over Planned Protest on 19/01/2020 at 11:23
[Vanguard] Imo State Police Command has warned those planning to publicly protest the sacking of Chief Emeka Ihedioha and installation of Senator Hope Uzodinma as Imo State Governor, by the Supreme Court, that it would not tolerate violence or hijacking of the process by hoodlums.