Norh African News aggregated from diverse sources by AllAfrica.com, including Egyptian, Tunisian, Libyan, Algerian, Mauritanian, Moroccan, Sudanese & other regional newspapers.
AllAfrica News: North Africa All Africa, All the Time.
- Sudan: No Contact With People Kidnapped in Libya - Sudan Official on 07/12/2019 at 10:27
[Radio Dabanga] Khartoum -According to a Sudanese official, communication has been lost with 11 Sudanese nationals detained by human traffickers in Libya.
- Algeria: Algeria Deserves From Its Children to Remain "Impenetrable Fortress" on 07/12/2019 at 06:37
[Algerie Presse Service] Algiers -Army Lieutenant General Ahmed Gaïd Salah, Deputy Minister of National Defence, Chief of Staff of the People's National Army (ANP), said Friday in Oran that Algeria deserves from its children to remain "the impenetrable fortress," stressing that the presidential elections of December 12 will be "an electoral festival through which the popular will is going to be realized," said Friday the National Defence Ministry in a statement.
- Africa: Lessons From Algeria On Foreign Terrorist Fighters on 06/12/2019 at 13:17
[ISS] Over the past two and a half years, Algeria has convinced many of its citizens fighting in the Sahel to surrender. While this alone won't end the region's conflicts, for peacebuilding to succeed the presence of foreign fighters must be addressed. Algeria's programme shows a way of doing so.
- South Africa: Suspect Nabbed for the Alleged Murder of Sebongile Nkanyane on 06/12/2019 at 08:38
[SAPS] A 26-year-old suspect was on Thursday 05 December 2019 at about 21h30, arrested in connection with the murder of Sebongile Nkanyane whose body was found in a yard at Vaalwater 2, Sekgosese in the early hours of Tuesday 03 December 2019.
- Nigeria: 168 Stranded Nigerians Return From Libya on 06/12/2019 at 08:27
[Premium Times] The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) on Friday received another batch of 168 stranded Nigerian returnees from Libya.
- Egypt: Egypt Continues Biggest Wave of Arrests of Journalists Since 2014 on 05/12/2019 at 12:37
[RSF] The list of journalists arrested in Egypt since the start of a wave of anti-government protests in September keeps on getting longer, with four more arrests in the past ten days. This is the biggest crackdown on media personnel since the protests that followed Gen. Abdel Fattah el-Sisi's takeover as president in 2014, Reporters Without Borders (RSF) says.
- Egypt: Egypt, Ethiopia Close Ranks in Nile Dam Talks on 05/12/2019 at 09:36
[East African] Technical teams seeking to end the conflict over Ethiopia's Grand Renaissance Dam along the river Nile appeared headed for a major breakthrough as the second round of talks progressed in Cairo, Egypt on Tuesday.
- Libya: France Drops Plan to Give Boats to Libya on 05/12/2019 at 09:09
[HRW] France's decision last week to withdraw its offer of six boats to the Libyan Coast Guard is good news, as Libya could have used this "gift" to subject even more migrants and refugees to serious abuses in Libya.
- Kenya: Algeria Latest to Back Kenya's Bid for UN Security Council Seat on 05/12/2019 at 06:36
[Nation] Algeria is the latest African country to declare support for Kenya's candidature for the non-permanent seat in the United Nations Security Council.
- Kenya: Algeria Backs Kenya's Bid for the UN Security Council Seat on 05/12/2019 at 05:41
[Capital FM] Nairobi -Algeria on Wednesday became the latest African country to declare its support for Kenya's candidature for the non-permanent seat on the UN Security Council in the election slated for June next year.
- Tunisia: Consultations On Government Formation 'Are Making Significant Progress' (Jamli) on 04/12/2019 at 14:30
[Tunis Afrique Presse] Tunis/Tunisia -Prime Minister-designate Habib Jamli said consultations on the formation of the new government are "making significant progress."
- Tunisia: Parliament Passes Draft Supplementary Finance Law 2019 on 04/12/2019 at 14:28
[Tunis Afrique Presse] Tunis/Tunisia -The House of People's Representatives passed, on Tuesday evening, the 2019 Supplementary Finance Law, with 109 votes in favour, 19 against and 5 abstentions, after two interruptions for parliamentary groups to consult and mutual recrimination between MPs.
- Algeria: CPJ Safety Advisory - Covering Unrest and Elections in Algeria on 04/12/2019 at 14:02
[CPJ] Protests are taking place across Algeria ahead of a presidential election that is scheduled to take place on December 12, according to reports. The December vote comes after the resignation of President Abdelaziz Bouteflika, who stepped down from power after 20 years of rule amid widespread protests at the start of the year, according to reports.
- Algeria: Candidates' Televised Debate to Be Aired By Public Media, Authorized Private Channels on 04/12/2019 at 13:59
[Algerie Presse Service] Algeirs -The televised debate in which will participate the five candidates for the supreme office of the State that will take place next Friday, will be broadcast by The public television channels, national radio channels and all authorized private television channels, said, on Tuesday, the Independent National Electoral Authority (ANIE).
- Western Sahara: Haidar in an Act in Sweden - 'The Saharawi Cause Is the Responsibility of All Those Who Fight for Peace and Justice' on 04/12/2019 at 13:55
[SPS] Stockholm (Sweden) -The Alternative Nobel Prize 2019, Aminetu Haidar, has asked international organizations and the entire European civil society to mobilize to end the serious human rights violations in the Occupied Areas of Western Sahara.
- Western Sahara: Aminatou to Swedish Parliament - 'Your Decision to Recognize Sadr Delighted Us, but Failing to Implement It Was Regrettable' on 04/12/2019 at 12:51
[SPS] Stockholm (Sweden) -Saharawi human rights defender and winner of 2019 Rights Livelihood Awar, Mrs. Aminatou Haidar, emphasized in the Swedish Parliament on Monday that the Parliament's decision to recognize the Saharawi Republic in 2012 was delightful but failing to implement it by the Swedish government in 2016 was regrettable.
- Morocco: Landmark Proposals On Individual Freedoms on 04/12/2019 at 12:11
[HRW] Tunis -The Moroccan parliament should adopt the groundbreaking proposals made by a government-appointed body to enshrine individual freedoms, Human Rights Watch said today. In a memorandum published on October 28, 2019, the National Human Rights Council (also known by its French acronym, CNDH) recommended decriminalizing consensual sex between nonmarried adults and granting more religious freedoms.
- Libya: Joint Letter On Establishing a Commission of Inquiry for Libya on 04/12/2019 at 12:11
[HRW] Re: UN Human Rights Council should establish a Commission of Inquiry, or similar mechanism, for Libya
- Tunisia: PDL Continues Sit-in in Parliament on 04/12/2019 at 11:34
[Tunis Afrique Presse] Tunis/Tunisia -The Desturian Free Party (PDL) continues its protest movement within the House of People's Representatives (HPR) until the publication of an official statement condemning the behaviour of Ennahdha MP Jamila Ksiksi towards the PDL members.
- Tunisia: Inflation Rate Stabilises At 6.3% in November on 04/12/2019 at 11:33
[Tunis Afrique Presse] Tunis/Tunisia -The inflation rate stabilised at 6.3% in November, against 6.5% in October and 6.7% in September, according to the National Institute of Statistics (INS).
- Tunisia: PM-Designate Meets President of Union of Court of Auditors' Judges on 04/12/2019 at 11:28
[Tunis Afrique Presse] Tunis/Tunisia -President of the Union of the Court of Auditors' Judges (UMCC) Fatma Kort said she stressed the importance of the role of the judiciary in improving public financial management and the need to implement its recommendations and support the efforts of the court judges at a meeting Tuesday with Prime Minister-designate Habib Jamli.
- Tunisia: To Be Transgender in Tunisia Is Life Threatening on 03/12/2019 at 13:49
[New Frame] LGBTQIA+ people in the conservative North African country live in fear of being beaten or killed and desperately seek opportunities to flee - but most don't have the means to move.
- Tunisia: The Realities of Being Queer in Tunisia on 03/12/2019 at 13:37
[New Frame] A group of LGBTQIA+ youths speak about what it's like to fight for their rights in a country where same-sex relations are punished with prison time.
- Morocco: Sokoto, Morocco Set for Pioneering Phosphate Project on 03/12/2019 at 11:42
[This Day] Nseobong Okon-Ekong writes that the Sokoto State government has entered a business undertaking with Morocco that promises to enhance improved agricultural yield for farmers, and ultimately, increase the state's Internally Generated Revenue
- Algeria: Algeria Condemns European Parliament's Resolution Criticising Freedom Situation on 03/12/2019 at 10:59
[Ghanaian Times] Algeria on Thursday condemned the "provocative" resolution issued by the European Parliament criticising the situation of freedoms in Algeria.
- Algeria: Sidi M'hamed Court - Trial of Officials Accused of Corruption Deferred on 03/12/2019 at 09:44
[Algerie Presse Service] The Court of Sidi M'hamed deferred until December 4th the trial of former officials and businessmen accused of corruption, as the trial's conditions are not met yet, according to the defendants' lawyers.
- Algeria: Gaïd Salah On Working Visit to 2nd Military Region As of Tuesday on 03/12/2019 at 09:44
[Algerie Presse Service] Algiers -Vice-minister of National Defence, Chief of Staff of the People's National Army (ANP), Lieutenant General Ahmed Gaïd Salah will pay as of Tuesday a working and inspection visit to the 2nd Military Region in Oran, said Monday a communiqué of the National Defence Ministry (MDN).
- Algeria: Presidential Election - Deep Political Reforms, Candidates' Priority on 03/12/2019 at 09:44
[Algerie Presse Service] Algiers -The five candidates to the 12 December presidential election placed the launch of deep political reforms among the major priorities in their electoral platforms. They all advocate the instauration of a broad national dialogue with the participation of all the forces of the country.
- Tunisia: Two Die in Railway Accident in Dahmani, El Kef on 03/12/2019 at 09:12
[Tunis Afrique Presse] Kef/Tunisia -A mother and her 26-year-old daughter were killed Monday after a train hit them in Dahmani, the governorate of El Kef.
- Tunisia: Head of State Takes Note of Decisions of Monday's Small Cabinet Meeting On Ain Snoussi Tragic Accident on 03/12/2019 at 08:56
[Tunis Afrique Presse] Tunis/Tunisia -President Kais Saied met with caretaker Prime Minister Youssef Chahed, at the Carthage Palace on Monday to discuss the measures and decisions taken at the small Cabinet meeting held in the morning to follow up the latest developments of Sunday's tragic accident in Ain Snoussi that left 26 people dead.
[wp_rss_multi_importer category=”10″ maximgwidth=”100″]