Norh African News aggregated from diverse sources by AllAfrica.com, including Egyptian, Tunisian, Libyan, Algerian, Mauritanian, Moroccan, Sudanese & other regional newspapers.
AllAfrica News: North Africa All Africa, All the Time.
- Tunisia: Govt Turns Down Invitation to Participate in Berlin Conference On Libya on 18/01/2020 at 20:41
[Tunis Afrique Presse] Tunis -Tunisia has turned down the invitation to participate in the Berlin Conference scheduled for Sunday, January 19, while expressing its thanks and consideration for the invitation sent Friday by German Chancellor Angela Merkel to President Kais Saied.
- Rwanda: Rwanda Opens New Embassy in Rabat on 17/01/2020 at 13:22
[Rwanda Govt] Wednesday, 15 January 2020 - A Rwandan embassy was officially inaugurated in Rabat, Morocco. The ceremony was graced by Minister of State in charge of the East African Community, Amb. Olivier Nduhungirehe and the Minister of Foreign Affairs, African cooperation and Moroccan people living abroad, Mr. Nasser Bourita.
- Tunisia: Parliament Approves Loan From AFD to Digitise Health Sector on 17/01/2020 at 11:26
[Tunis Afrique Presse] Tunis/Tunisia -The House of People's Representatives (HPR) passed at a plenary session Wednesday an agreement on a loan from the French Development Agency (AFD) amounting to ?27.3 million (85 million dinars).
- Morocco: 3 Years in Abusive Solitary Detention on 17/01/2020 at 10:02
[HRW] Tunis -A man sentenced to life in prison in one of Morocco's best-known trials for supposedly plotting terrorism, has apparently been held in abusive solitary detention for more than three years, Human Rights Watch said today. The mass trial in which he was convicted was marred by serious rights violations.
- South Africa: ANC Calls On the International Community to Honour a Promise Made Twenty Eight Years Ago to the Saharawi People On the Refferendum for Self-Determination on 17/01/2020 at 09:21
[SPS] Johannesburg -The African National Conference called on the international community to honour a promise made twenty eight years ago to the Saharawi people on the refferendum for self-determination.
- Tunisia: Over 60 Thousand Economic Offences Recorded in 2019 on 17/01/2020 at 08:51
[Tunis Afrique Presse] Tunis/Tunisia -Over 60 thousand economic offences were recorded during 2019, resulting in 550 decisions to shut down business premises, according to data provided by the General Directorate of Competition and Economic Investigations under the Trade Ministry.
- Rwanda/Egypt: Iranzi in Egypt for Trials, Niyonzima Joins Rayon on 17/01/2020 at 08:37
[New Times] Rwanda international and Rayon Sports star Jean Claude Iranzi has arrived in Egypt where he is due to undergo trials with Egypt Premier League side Aswan SC.
- East Africa: Ethiopia, Egypt, Sudan Make Slow Progress in Nile Dam Row on 17/01/2020 at 04:28
[Deutsche Welle] The three countries have agreed the filling of the Nile dam should start in the wet season and proceed in stages. But they have delayed making a final agreement until later in January.
- Libya: Mediterranean Escape Route for Migrants and Refugees Trapped in Libya on 16/01/2020 at 15:34
[MSF] Escalating conflict and insecurity in Libya are leading thousands of people to flee, taking their chances on unseaworthy boats across the Mediterranean. On 20 December 2019, Ocean Viking rescued 112 people from a rubber boat 32 nautical miles off the Libyan coast, 21 of whom had survived a deadly airstrike on Tajoura detention centre five months earlier. Their stories, told to MSF, highlight the plight of migrants and refugees in Libya: left in limbo, caught in the crossfire of a country at war and trapped
- Tunisia: Agreement Reached to End El Kamour Sit-In on 16/01/2020 at 13:24
[Tunis Afrique Presse] Tunis/Tunisia -An agreement was reached to end El Kamour sit-in at a meeting held Wednesday in Carthage between President Kais Saied and representatives of the sit-in, pending development of projects for residents of the region in various delegations, the Presidency of the Republic announced in a press release.
- Namibia: Family to Sue Police Over Assault of Two Minors on 16/01/2020 at 12:45
[Namibian] THE family of the 15-year-old girl who was arrested and charged with obstructing the course of justice for taking a video of members of Operation Kalahari Desert on duty is suing for dam-ages after the case against her was thrown out of court.
- Kenya/Algeria: Kenya International Eyes Return for Algerian Side on 16/01/2020 at 12:35
[Nation] Kenyan international Masoud Juma has impressed JS Kabylie coach Hubert Velud and could make a return to the team when they take on USM Alger Thursday evening in their league match at the Stade Omar Hamadi.
- Tunisia: Four Thousand Economic Operators Expected in Tunis to Attend Fita 2020 on 16/01/2020 at 11:22
[Tunis Afrique Presse] Tunis -Four thousand economic operators from 20 sub-Saharan countries as well as representatives of about fifty international institutions are expected in Tunis on February 4-5, to participate in the 3rd International Conference on Financing Investment & Trade in Africa (FITA2020).
- Libya: RSF Militia Denies Involvement in Libya on 16/01/2020 at 08:49
[Radio Dabanga] Khartoum -The Rapid Support Forces (RSF), the militia established under the ousted Al Bashir regime and is now part of the Sudan Armed Forces, denies accusations that it is involved in the conflict in Libya.
- Algeria: Italian Prime Minister On Visit to Algiers Thursday on 16/01/2020 at 08:36
[Algerie Presse Service] Algiers -Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte will pay Thursday a working visit to Algiers in which he will hold talks with Prime Minister Abdelaziz Djerad and will be received by President of the Republic Abdelmadjid Tebboune, said Wednesday a communiqué of Foreign Affairs Ministry.
- Tunisia: MPs Protest Against Ghannouchi's Latest Visit to Turkey on 16/01/2020 at 08:34
[Tunis Afrique Presse] Tunis/Tunisia -All MPs, with the exception of those from Ennahdha movement, protested during the evening Parliament's plenary against the recent visit of Rached Ghannouchi to Turkey.
- Rwanda: Rwanda, Morocco Agree to Expedite Bilateral Agreements on 16/01/2020 at 08:03
[New Times] Morocco and Rwandan have agreed to establish a committee that will follow up on the implementation of the 30 bilateral cooperation agreements that the two countries have so far signed, an official statement indicates.
- Africa: Despite Trump's Urging, Egypt, Ethiopia Still Deadlocked on Nile Dam on 16/01/2020 at 05:24
[VOA] Washington -The latest talks hosted by the U.S. Treasury produced some progress but failed to achieve a comprehensive agreement on the filling and operation of the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam (GERD).
- Libya: Trafficking Risk High for Hundreds of Migrants Sent Back Home on 16/01/2020 at 04:31
[Thomson Reuters Foundation] Dakar -Aid workers say they have first-hand testimony of migrants being sold to traffickers after being taken to Libyan detention centres
- Africa: Joint Statement on Negotiations Over the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam (GERD) on 16/01/2020 at 02:26
[U.S. Treasury] Washington, DC -The Ministers of Foreign Affairs and Water Resources of Egypt, Ethiopia and Sudan and their delegations met with the Secretary of the Treasury and the President of the World Bank, participating as observers, in Washington, D.C. on January 13-15, 2020.
- Libya: Libya, International Community Seek Peace At Berlin Conference on 15/01/2020 at 14:17
[Deutsche Welle] The recent Libya peace talks in Moscow were a failure. A new attempt is scheduled to take place in Berlin. The situation is complicated: All parties involved have their own interests at heart.
- South Africa/Morocco: SAFA Boycotts 2020 Futsal Over Morocco's Occupation of Western Sahara on 15/01/2020 at 11:11
[allAfrica] Cape Town -The South African Football Association (SAFA) has announced its decision to withdraw the national team from the 2020 Africa Futsal Cup of Nations to be hosted in Morocco.
- Libya: Rapid Support Forces Denies Its Involvement in War in Libya on 15/01/2020 at 10:23
[SNA] Khartoum -The spokesman of the Rapid Support Forces, Brig. Jamal Gumma Adam, has denied participation the Rapid Support Forces at the war in Libya along with the Libyan Army commander Khalifa Hafter.
- Sudan: Launching of Pilot Operation for Networking Between Sudan and Egypt on 15/01/2020 at 10:23
[SNA] Wadi Halfa -The pilot operation of the networking between Sudan and Egypt was launched through the Egyptian Toshka and Sudanese Argin stations to supply the Sudanese side with an electricity power estimated at 50 megawatts as a first stage, to be raised to 300 megawatts in the second stage. Economic experts said that the electricity linkage between the two sides would contribute to strengthening relations, advancing the economy and development of the two countries.
- Libya: Russia Claims Progress but Falls Short on Libya Cease-Fire Deal on 15/01/2020 at 08:16
[VOA] Russia said it made progress after hosting indirect peace talks aimed at ending the conflict in Libya -- despite failing to secure an open ended cease-fire deal between the warring sides in the nine-month war."
- Libya: Escalating Violence in Libya Sends Migrants Fleeing for Europe on 15/01/2020 at 07:59
[VOA] The International Organization for Migration says most of the more than 1,000 migrants who fled escalating violence and deteriorating humanitarian conditions in Libya over the past two weeks have returned to Libyan shores and been sent to abusive detention centers.
- Libya: Libya - Reckless Fighting Endangers Civilians on 15/01/2020 at 07:35
[HRW] Beirut -Armed groups loyal to one of two competing Libyan governments and their international backers are putting civilians at risk with indiscriminate attacks, Human Rights Watch said today in its World Report 2020. The United Nations Human Rights Council should establish a Commission of Inquiry to document abuses and identify those responsible with a view to future accountability.
- Tunisia: Tunisia - Repressive Laws Cloud Rights Gains on 15/01/2020 at 07:35
[HRW] Tunis -Tunisia still faces numerous hurdles to protecting its human rights gains nine years after Tunisians ousted the authoritarian President Zine el-Abidine Ben Ali, Human Rights Watch said today in its World Report 2020.
- North Africa: Film Set In Tunisia Gets Oscar Nomination on 15/01/2020 at 04:43
[CINETELEFILMS] Meryam Joobeur's live action short film Brotherhood produced by Academy-Award nominee Maria Gracia Turgeon of Midi La Nuit & Cinétéléfilms is now nominated for the Academy Awards for Best Live Action Short Film. It tells a poignant story of a rural Tunisian father caught in between loyalty to his family and his rigid moral principles.
- Libya: Germany Calls Libya Conference in Berlin on 14/01/2020 at 15:29
[Deutsche Welle] With Libya ceasefire talks stalling, German Chancellor Angela Merkel is to host a conference in Berlin on Sunday. It will include representatives of top international players and the two rival Libyan governments.
[wp_rss_multi_importer category=”10″ maximgwidth=”100″]