East Africa News aggregated from different sources, including Ugandan, Kenyan, Tanzanian, Ethiopian, Eritrean, South Sudanese, Rwandan, Burundi newspapers.
AllAfrica News: East Africa All Africa, All the Time.
- Ethiopia: Two Telecom Operators to Join Ethiopian Market Until April 2021by ENA on 27/10/2020 at 11:58
[ENA] Addis Ababa -- Two new international telecom operators will enter into the Ethiopian market until April 2021 once the due process of competitive bid evaluation is completed, according to Ethiopian Communication Authority.
- Tanzania: UN Women to Train Rural Females in Horticultureby Daily News on 27/10/2020 at 11:13
[Daily News] UN Women has said 118 rural women in Shinyanga and Singida regions are set to benefit from Climate Smart Agriculture (CSA) and entrepreneurship.
- Ethiopia: Premier Visits Locust Affected Areas, Commences Road Projectby Ethiopian Herald on 27/10/2020 at 10:51
[Ethiopian Herald] Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed paid a visit to Were Babo Woreda of the South Wollo Zone of Amhara State, which is among the most severely affected areas in the country by the invasion of desert locust.
- Ethiopia: Export Revenue Increases By U.S.$115.6 Millionby Ethiopian Herald on 27/10/2020 at 08:52
[Ethiopian Herald] Exports in the first quarter of the fiscal year 2020 compared to in the previous fiscal year, export revenue increased by 115.6 million USD or 16 percent and a total of US $ 838.6 million was earned, according to the Ministry of Trade and Industry (MoTI).
- Ethiopia: Int'l Organizations, Famed Personalities Denounce Trump's Remark On GERDby Ethiopian Herald on 27/10/2020 at 08:51
[Ethiopian Herald] Following the U.S. President Donald trump's remark on the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam (GERD) in his recent telephonic conversation with Sudanese leader, various international organizations and prominent figures have categorically denounced the comment for it is counterproductive to the ongoing trilateral negotiation and the region's stability.
- Ethiopia: Parties Confirm Determination for Democratic Electionby Ethiopian Herald on 27/10/2020 at 08:46
[Ethiopian Herald] ADDIS ABABA-Contestant parties have underlined that making the upcoming elections democratic, free, credible and participatory would lay a democratic cornerstone for Ethiopia and future generations.
- Somalia: UN Envoy and Somalia's PM Discuss Electionsby Dalsan Radio on 27/10/2020 at 08:45
[Dalsan Radio] The Prime Minister of the Federal Republic of Somalia Mohamed Hussein Roble has on Monday met in his office the Special Representative of the Secretary-General for Somalia James Swan.
- Kenya: Bomas Crowd Becomes Hostile to DP Rutoby Nation on 27/10/2020 at 08:44
[Nation] A section of the crowd attending the official launch of the Building Bridges Initiative (BBI) report on Monday reacted with hostility while Deputy President William Ruto gave his views on the document.
- Kenya: MPs Could Become New Centres of Power in Proposed Law Changesby Nation on 27/10/2020 at 08:43
[Nation] The proposed constitutional amendments contained in the Building Bridges Initiative (BBI) report have created new centres of power that could alter Kenya's political landscape and shape the 2022 election campaigns, analysts have predicted.
- Kenya: Kenyans Abroad Feel Pandemic Pinch, Reduce Remittancesby Nation on 27/10/2020 at 08:43
[Nation] Remittances from Kenyans abroad fell by Sh1.4 billion in September partly due to the effects of a second Covid-19 infection wave witnessed in many countries in Europe and the Americas which has seen some re-impose restrictions, slowing down economic recovery.
- Kenya: Sh1 Million Up for Grabs for Female Entrepreneursby Nation on 27/10/2020 at 08:43
[Nation] Kenya-based female entrepreneurs now have a chance to win Sh1 million in seed capital and receive sponsored training on how to become successful businesswomen.
- Kenya: 16 at Machakos School Isolated After Student Gets Virusby Nation on 27/10/2020 at 08:43
[Nation] A Form Four student of Muumandu Secondary School in Machakos County has tested positive for Covid-19 while 16 people who interacted with him have been isolated.
- Kenya: Looming Crisis as Plans to Reopen Schools in Limboby Nation on 27/10/2020 at 08:43
[Nation] The basic education sector is staring at a crisis next year if schools do not reopen fully, and the classes that are in session go on with learning.
- Kenya: How BBI 'Cures' Future Wrangles Between Nairobi Governor and NMS Bossby Nation on 27/10/2020 at 08:43
[Nation] Nairobi County has been plagued by incessant power battles since the establishment of Nairobi Metropolitan Services (NMS) in March.
- Kenya: Government Promises to Implement Technical Report on Rising Lakesby Nation on 27/10/2020 at 08:16
[Nation] The government has promised to implement a report by a technical team looking into possible causes of raising lakes in the Rift Valley region.
- Sudan: UNAMID to Exit Darfur On December 31by Radio Dabanga on 27/10/2020 at 07:49
[Radio Dabanga] Khartoum -- Sudan, the United Nations and the African Union have confirmed that the UN-AU mission in Darfur UNAMID will exit Sudan on December 31, as planned earlier.
- Kenya: Hague Court Denies Talk of Fresh Ruto Probe as Allies Revive Claimsby Nation on 27/10/2020 at 07:29
[Nation] The International Criminal Court has distanced itself from any investigations which might be going on in the country with the aim of reviving the 2007/08 post-election violence cases.
- Kenya: Kenyatta May Be in Office 4 Months After 2022 Electionsby Nation on 27/10/2020 at 07:14
[Nation] President Uhuru Kenyatta's successor may wait 120 days after the 2022 General Election to assume office if a proposed constitutional amendment is passed and the outcome of the vote successfully challenged at the Supreme Court.
- Kenya: Kenyatta, Ruto and Odinga Launch BBI Report at Bomasby Nation on 27/10/2020 at 07:14
[Nation] Leaders and members of the public from across the country have gathered at Bomas of Kenya in Nairobi for the official unveiling of the Building Bridges Initiative (BBI) report.
- Somalia: To Avoid a Repeat of the Mogadishu Attack, Country Needs Biometricsby African Arguments on 27/10/2020 at 07:06
[African Arguments] I was mayor of Mogadishu in 2017 when it experienced the country's deadliest ever terrorist attack. The lessons have not yet been learnt.
- Seychelles: President Ramkalawan Sworn in After Sea-Change Electionby Seychelles News Agency on 27/10/2020 at 06:45
[Seychelles News Agency] Seychelles' newly elected leader, Wavel Ramkawalan, was sworn in as the country's fifth president in a ceremony at State House in the country's capital on Monday.
- Rwanda: Kabuga Transferred to the Hagueby New Times on 27/10/2020 at 06:29
[New Times] Genocide mastermind Félicien Kabuga was on Monday, October 26, transferred from France to the custody of the International Residual Mechanism for Criminal Tribunals (Mechanism) in The Hague, Netherlands.
- Rwanda: 90% of Covid-19 Victims Had NCDs - Ministerby New Times on 27/10/2020 at 06:26
[New Times] At least 90 per cent of the 34 deaths registered in Rwanda due to Covid-19 were people with underlying conditions of non-communicable diseases (NCDs), the Minister of Health Dr. Daniel Ngamije has said.
- Rwanda: Rwanda Accelerates Nuclear Energy Effortsby New Times on 27/10/2020 at 06:21
[New Times] As Rwanda advances plans to establish a centre for nuclear science and technology, it has now started working on its nuclear stronghold by joining the international treaty that provides assistance in case of nuclear and radiological accidents.
- Kenya: Student 'Proposes' to Kenyatta at BBI Launchby Nairobi News on 27/10/2020 at 06:11
[Nairobi News] President Uhuru Kenyatta was on Monday left beside himself after University of Nairobi (UoN) law student, Ashura Michael, proposed to him at Bomas of Kenya.
- Kenya: Matatu Operators Set to Begin Nationwide Strikeby Nairobi News on 27/10/2020 at 05:29
[Nairobi News] Kenyans commuters could from Tuesday be stranded if the threat by the Association of Matatu Operators to withdraw their services is executed.
- Rwanda: Genocide Suspect Felicien Kabuga Arrives in the Hague to Face Trialby DW on 27/10/2020 at 05:17
[DW] Late last month, France's top court ruled that the former coffee tycoon could be transferred to UN custody. Felicien Kabuga, 87, had spent two decades living close to Paris under a false name.
- Ethiopia: Famous Ethiopian Painter Lemma Guya Dies At 92by ENA on 27/10/2020 at 05:01
[ENA] Addis Ababa -- Ethiopian legend painter Lemma Guya has died of natural causes at the age of 92 at his home town in Bishoftu on Monday..
- Burundi: Four Journalists Still in Jail a Year After They Were Arrestedby CIVICUS on 27/10/2020 at 04:55
[CIVICUS] Burundian authorities should release four journalists and drop charges against them Journalists added to #StandAsMyWitness campaign calling for release of all human rights defenders Media freedoms and civic rights declining in Burundi
- Africa: African Union Seeks to Seize Initiative Over Nile Dam Talksby allAfrica on 26/10/2020 at 19:41
[allAfrica] Cape Town -- Days after President Donald Trump accused Ethiopia of breaking a deal he had negotiated over Egypt's rights to water from the Nile, the African Union is kick-starting renewed trilateral talks on the issue between Ethiopia, Egypt and Sudan.
[wp_rss_multi_importer category=”8″ maximgwidth=”100″]