East Africa News aggregated from different sources, including Ugandan, Kenyan, Tanzanian, Ethiopian, Eritrean, South Sudanese, Rwandan, Burundi newspapers.
AllAfrica News: East Africa All Africa, All the Time.
- Kenya: Paula Kahumbu Named Rolex National Geographic Explorer of the Yearby Capital FM on 17/06/2021 at 08:37
[Capital FM] Nairobi -- Wildlife Direct Chief Executive Officer Paula Kahumbu has been recognized as the Rolex National Geographic Explorer of the Year for 2021.
- Kenya: KenGen Joins UN-Backed Campaign Against Global Warmingby Capital FM on 17/06/2021 at 08:37
[Capital FM] Nairobi -- Kenya Electricity Generating Company PLC (KenGen) has joined the UN-backed global campaign to combat global warming, becoming the first public service agency in Kenya company to do so.
- Kenya: Lake Region Faces Lockdown to Contain Covid-19 Spreadby Nation on 17/06/2021 at 08:36
[Nation] The government is mulling enhancing containment measures in the nine counties witnessing a spike in the transmission of Covid-19 in Western Kenya and Nyanza, including stopping all entry or exit in the affected areas.
- Kenya: Court Orders DNA Test in Moi Grandson Child Support Caseby Nation on 17/06/2021 at 08:36
[Nation] A court in Nakuru has ordered a DNA test to confirm the paternity of two children disputed by former President Daniel Moi's grandson.
- Kenya: TSC Backs Down on Plan to Kill Bachelor of Education Degreeby Nation on 17/06/2021 at 08:36
[Nation] The Teachers Service Commission appears to have backed down from its earlier recommendation to scrap the Bachelor of Education (B.Ed) degree programme from September this year.
- Kenya: Journalist Sues FKF, Government Over Lower-Tier Leaguesby Nation on 17/06/2021 at 08:36
[Nation] A football stakeholder on Wednesday petitioned the Sports Disputes Tribunal (SDT) to indefinitely suspend the second and third-tier football leagues in the country on safety grounds.
- Eritrea: Buya Pictures - A Mirror of Our Sky Rocketing Art Projectsby Shabait on 17/06/2021 at 08:29
[Shabait] Kemal is a man of great passion and determination. He is the founder of BUYA pictures. People describe him as polite, funny, hardworking, innovator and generous. His contribution to our music and video industry is undeniable, and the fact that he is still young gives a lot people hope in getting so much out of him. His journey was not simple and that made him the best at what he does.
- Eritrea: Announcement From the Ministry of Healthby Shabait on 17/06/2021 at 08:29
[Shabait] Ninety six patients have been diagnosed positive for COVID-19 in tests carried out today at Quarantine Centers in Central, Southern, Anseba, and Gash Barka Regions.
- Eritrea: UN Security Council Dialogue on the Humanitarian Situation in the Tigray Regionby Shabait on 17/06/2021 at 08:29
[Shabait] On 15 June 2021, UN Security Council members held an in-person informal interactive dialogue (IID) on the humanitarian situation in the Tigray region of Ethiopia. Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs Mark Lowcock and WFP Executive Director David Beasley were invited to brief the members. Representatives of the Ethiopian Government were also invited to participate. Eritrea was not invited, and rightfully so, as this was purely a matter on internal affairs in Ethiopia.
- Uganda: MPs Approve 20 Ministersby Monitor on 17/06/2021 at 08:18
[Monitor] The House Appointments Committee yesterday vetted and cleared 20 ministers, including Ms Milly Babirye Babalanda, the new Minister for Presidency.
- Uganda: Covid-19 Kills 49 People in 24 Hours in Ugandaby Monitor on 17/06/2021 at 08:18
[Monitor] The Ministry of Health on Wednesday said 49 more people have succumbed to Covid-19, the highest figure ever registered in Uganda in a single day since March last year when the virus outbreak was confirmed in the country.
- Uganda: Covid-19 - How the Refugees in Uganda Are Faringby Monitor on 17/06/2021 at 08:18
[Monitor] The general food assistance continues to enable refugees to meet their immediate food and nutrition needs and sustain a minimum level of food security.
- Uganda: Eight Suspects in Otafiire Land Wrangle Releasedby Monitor on 17/06/2021 at 08:18
[Monitor] By Arthur Arnold Wadero
- Uganda: Water Transport Uninterrupted Despite Inter-District Travel Banby Monitor on 17/06/2021 at 08:18
[Monitor] Water transport has continued uninterruptedly on various lakes despite a presidential directive banning public transport across districts.
- Uganda: Covid-19 - the Situation in Our Health Facilitiesby Monitor on 17/06/2021 at 08:18
[Monitor] By Damali Mukhaye
- Sudan: New ICC Prosecutor Takes Office in the Hagueby Radio Dabanga on 17/06/2021 at 08:03
[Radio Dabanga] The Hague -- British lawyer Karim Asad Ahmad Khan QC was today sworn-in to begin his nine-year term as Prosecutor of the International Criminal Court in The Hague. Khan made his solemn undertaking and formally took office during a ceremony held at the seat of the ICC in The Hague, The Netherlands. Khan was elected as ICC Prosecutor on 12 February 2021, for a nine-year term, at the second resumed 19th session of the Assembly of States Parties to the Rome Statute (ASP) in New York.
- Tanzania: Sexual Violence Against Children On the Rise in Tanzaniaby Citizen on 17/06/2021 at 06:45
[Citizen] Dar es Salaam -- Tanzania has continued to record a n increase in number of sexual violence against children.
- Tanzania: Financial Institutions, Force to Reckon With in Agri Developmentby Daily News on 17/06/2021 at 06:34
[Daily News] THE World Bank recently estimated that the value of food and agricultural markets in Africa may rise to US$1 trillion a year by 2030.
- Tanzania: Why We Should All Read Biographies of Tanzania's Past Presidentsby Daily News on 17/06/2021 at 06:34
[Daily News] ALL Tanzanians should endeavour to read the biographies of our past Presidents, because they constitute a 'treasure trove' of valuable historical information, which is of huge educational value to the present, as well as future generations; since they reveal a lot more than just an account relating to their personal lives; for they include much substantial information relating to national events and occurrences; which, taken together, form the largest part of the political history of Tanzania.
- Tanzania: Tanzania's Path to Poverty Reduction, Pro-Poor Growthby Daily News on 17/06/2021 at 06:34
[Daily News] DURING the past decade, Tanzania recorded sustained economic growth and a persistent decline in poverty, according to a new World Bank poverty analysis.
- Tanzania: Harmonize Drops Legal Suit Against His Ex.by Nairobi News on 17/06/2021 at 06:26
[Nairobi News] Tanzanian musician Rajab Abdul, who is best known to his Kenyan fans by the stage name Harmonize, says he has dropped charges against his ex-girlfriend Frida Kajala and her daughter Paula.
- East Africa: Somaliland Provides Region With Lessons in Credible Electionsby Nation on 17/06/2021 at 05:53
[Nation] The recent parliamentary and civic elections in Somaliland succeeded where many Horn of Africa states have failed due to authoritarian regimes meddling in the electoral process.
- Ethiopia: Post-Violence Recovery in Amhara At Risk as Thousands Remain Displacedby Addis Standard on 17/06/2021 at 05:52
[Addis Standard] Addis Abeba -- Little is known about the aftermath of recent conflicts in North Shewa and Oromo Special Zone in Amhara Regional State. The two zones have been a scene of conflict since their establishments but the conflict has never such damage to property became a scene of instability and narratives range from mischaracterization to vilification. Addis Standard reported on atrocities that were unfolding in these areas.
- Kenya: Key Reforms Give Renewed Hope to Small-Scale Tea Farmersby RFI on 17/06/2021 at 05:26
[RFI] Smallholder tea farmers in southwestern Kenya are finally getting recognition after the government recently revised laws governing the subsector. They are now getting better returns for their crops, having a say in who represents them and are being paid on time for what is the country's primary export.
- Ethiopia: Abiy's Home Region Is Volatile Ahead of Electionsby DW on 17/06/2021 at 04:53
[DW] Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed's home region, Oromia, could be one of the hot spots during Ethiopia's upcoming regional and parliamentary election. Outbreaks of violence have created an atmosphere of instability.
- East Africa: Escaped Eritrean Trafficker Given Life Sentence in Ethiopiaby Thomson Reuters Foundation on 17/06/2021 at 04:48
[Thomson Reuters Foundation] Addis Ababa -- Kidane Zekarias escaped from court premises in Addis Ababa after nearly a year of trial on eight counts of human trafficking
- Ethiopia: Ethiopia, Human Rights, and The Internetby Brookings on 16/06/2021 at 17:15
[Brookings] Washington, DC -- No African issue has absorbed as much time in the early months of the Biden administration as has the ongoing--and avoidable--tragedy in Ethiopia's Tigray province. President Biden was forceful and correct in calling for an end to the "large-scale human rights abuses" occurring in Tigray, including the widespread sexual violence and the need for Eritrean and Amhara forces to withdraw from the province. Now, the administration is stuck in the tough position of considering sanctio
- Ethiopia: Amnesty Calls for the Release of OLF's Chairman, Under House Arrest for Monthsby Addis Standard on 16/06/2021 at 12:59
[Addis Standard] Addis Abeba -- Amnesty International yesterday wrote a letter addressed to the Minister of Peace, Muferiyat Kamil calling for the release of Dawud Ibsaa, the chairman of the Oromo Liberation Front (OLF). In the letter Amnesty recalled the incident on May 3, 2021 where the residence of Dawud was 'unlawfully' raided by armed security forces who seized the electronic equipment in his house, including laptop computers and mobile phones.
- Ethiopia: Ethiopia Rejects Arab League Resolution Backing Egypt to Take GERD Meeting to UNSCby Addis Standard on 16/06/2021 at 12:58
[Addis Standard] Addis Abeba -- Ethiopia has "rejected in its entirety" a resolution by the Executive Council of the League of Arab States backing Egypt's position in calling for the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) to intervene to push Ethiopia to sign a binding agreement on the GERD negotiations before Ethiopia began the second filling of the mega day this summer.
- Sudan: No Final Agreement As Sudan Govt - SPLM-N Juba Talks Adjournedby Radio Dabanga on 16/06/2021 at 12:19
[Radio Dabanga] Juba -- The South Sudanese mediation decided to adjourn the direct negotiation sessions between the Sudanese transitional government and the Sudan People's Liberation Movement-North (SPLM-N) indefinitely yesterday, to hold further consultations on the remaining contentious issues between the two parties, who have failed to reach a final agreement on a number of issues that were discussed in the draft framework.
[wp_rss_multi_importer category=”8″ maximgwidth=”100″]