Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      teflo
      Participant

This is a problem I had & posted in Microsoft Community Forums after a recent update. I thought this might help someone …

Hi

I have been using my Samsung notebook for almost 4 years & have not had this combination of problems before.

1. The other day, a friend used my notebook while holding it in his lap & noted it was getting very hot & with fan blowing out unusually hot air the whole time. He has used it before & never had this.
        I did not take it seriously until I noted later the temperatures where keeping unusually high, often crossing the 85°C threshold & then even over 90°. I have had this before in the 80s, but it’s only for a few moments, and I do mostly multitask with a number programs running. I don’t remember temperatures of 90°C.
        That night while watching a film & with only Windows media player classic running, the PC shutdown on its own, most likely because it was too hot. I have never had this before.
        Before that, whatever I am doing, even when running Pinnacle Studio video editor& rendering a film & concurrently doing other stuff like photo editing with Gimp, etc, it never heats to over 80°C or remained there long.
        Dust is NOT an issue, because nothing injected that much of it on 12th Oct. to interrupt the fan, but even then, I did some comprehensive suction with a vacuum cleaner today & as I’m writing this, it’s noticeably hot with a very busy fan, like it has been of late running constantly!
      2. I do often change the screen brightness, several times a day either using the keyboard keys (FN + F2/F3) in my case. These have ceased working of late. There’s the option of changing this by clicking the battery icon in task bar, which as shown in screenshot opens window where thru clicks, the brightness values can be changed. Now, these are not clickable & so not adjustable! I think the 2 are connected. The FN keys work for other functions like volume adjustment.
      3. I also noted that if I closed the notebook cover, that that it did not go into Standby as was always the case. When I went to the power options in the Control Panel to see if something had changed (see screenshot), the Standby Option has disappeared. It’s consequently also no longer there when you go to Start => Power, where there’s now only Shutdown & Restart!!!!

These issues where not there on 11th October and certainly not on 12th BEFORE the update process was completed with the connected restarts. I do attribute them to the update, because I have certainly made no changes in Cpanel on the system. The latest updates installed on 12th October are shown in screenshot and are:

• Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool for Windows 8, 8.1, 10 and Windows Server 2012, 2012 R2 x64 Edition – October 2016 (KB890830)
      • Security Update for Microsoft Word 2010 (KB3118312) 32-Bit Edition
      • Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3194798)
      • Security Update for Adobe Flash Player for Windows 10 Version 1607 (for x64-based Systems) (KB3194343)

The notebook has ALL available Windows 10 updates installed, including those shown in screenshot. The notebook was upgraded from Win 8.1 to Win 10 last year and everything has been working. All drivers are & are kept up-to-date by iObit Driver Booster 4 Pro.

How do I correct ALL these issues?

Thank you in advance

teflo
      Participant

Well, since I use my notebook many hours everyday & suspected a response might ´take a while, I decided I had to do something to prevent the CPU getting roasted & doing irreversible damage.

I luckily enough had a restoration point created on 12th, the day the updates where installed and decided I would lose nothing trying going back.

I did that & ALL the above issues where gone, meaning something had been installed that was causing those problems.

Some updates where removed, but also some drivers which had been installed. I noted SOME of those Windows Updates installed remained.

After that Windows Update naturally wanted to reinstall removed Windows Updates, but also noted a few more that were not there before.

I decided to to allow the installation Windows Updates to see if the issues would be back, but luckily, none of the 3 issues came back.

One of the updates removed when I used the restoration point was Realtek HD Audio driver + 2, 3 others. I have no idea whether it had anything to do with this, but I have not updated it again yet, although iObit Driver Booster shows it needs updating. It also currently shows the Qualcomm Atheros WLAN network adapter driver needs updating. I do not remember whether it was there at the time, but I’m in no hurry. I have always updated those drivers now & then though & had never had a problem with it.

The fact is something caused those issues at the time of the update & the problems persisted for about 2 days and now they are gone.

That means

• no overheating, with the CPU temperatures mostly below 60° C … even like currently while multitasking with several tabs of Firefox open, one with CNN online, a Chrome window, Gimp open, Thunderbird, etc.
      • the function for adjusting screen brightness is back
      • the Power => “Sleep” option is back.

I would encourage anyone who had similar issues (like 4 people have indicated) IF they came AFTER such a Windows or other program update to try going back to a restoration point BEFORE the update, when everything was OK.

It’s always good to manually create restoration points now & then when all is running well, which help in such cases in addition, just in case the one(s) automatically created by Windows was/were made in a time when the problem had already come up or are too old.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.